Beyer 990 or RS-1
Dec 6, 2006 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a fun (rock/metal) headphone and with Christmas coming up I may have to treat myself very soon. BTW the spell checker in Firefox 2 is just dandy.

I actively use the AKG 701, the Senn 595 and the AKG K81DJ. I enjoy all 3 despite their respective weaknesses. My source is the Headroom Desktop DAC/Amp.

Note: I hated the Grado 325i and I've never given a good listen to the beyer line.

990 Pros:
cheaper
more bass
should work fine with my current amp

990 Cons:
too much bass

RS-1 Pros:
reputed to be one of the best rock headphones available

RS-1 Cons:
probably requires a tube amp

Hurry up and help me decide! Christmas is almost here! :p

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 14
I haven't listened to the 990, but I own the RS-1. I think it's great for rock and it works fine with solid state amps. That's a bit of a misconception, I think. Tubes are better, but it's still a great headphone with solid state.

Now, the fact that you hated the 325i makes me wonder. Grados are polarizing; if you like one, you tend to like them all. Was it the comfort for you? Did you not like the sound? There's a chance you're Grado-adverse, and that the RS-1 might not be a good fit for you.

Have you thought about using one of the Sennheiser 580/600/650 lineup as a rock can? I might get shot down for this, but I think the 650 is good for rock, especially with a solid state amp. And you have a good solid state amp.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 14
SR325i is the most brightest of Grado line, (or so everyone says) so no wonder one might hate it. SR225, as much as i love it, is as bright as i can tolerate. Any brighter, and i wouldnt like it at all. Wooden line has bit different way of presenting things, more colored. But, as with all Grados, you gotta hear one before buying.

DT990 05 version is probaply safe bet as rock/metal can. Atleast its getting quite rave reviews for that use.

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 14
I just took delivery (yesterday) of Beyer dt990/600. You will have to order them thru their Manufaktur page. I have never heard any 'phones sound soo good out of the box - can't wait for them to burn-in. Normally I don't listen to phones during burn-in, but I will be listening to these. Although, there is already a tendency to zero in on their exceptional crisp, clear, non-irritating treble quality.
Terrific detail and extension in the treble. Bass became fuller after only aprox. 2 hours of play. NO recessed mids. Just going on posted comments of the 250ohm version (did not buy those), the 600 ohm version is superior. While I don't have any idea of the amp you own, but after opening the package, the Corda HA2 was closest and I plugged them in there. Amazingly, I only turned the volume up by one "hour" above the Darth's (normally 10-10:30, now 11-11:30). So, they run very well off of std good-quality amps. Their sensitivity must be better than would be expected. I hesitate to say more because they are new, but the upshot is that it appears these are the better choice, if your alternate consideration has been the RS-1.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 14
I liked the RS-1 and K701 a lot, but sold both when I picked up the DT990s. In short, the DT990s are probably a notch off the RS-1 in PRAT and a notch off the K701 in detail and soundstage- IMO the perfect balance if you throw in a little more bass. I hardly think there is too much bass, but certainly more than the 701. DT990s are outstanding all around headphones, and at half the price of the RS-1, definitely in the same league.

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT990s are outstanding all around headphones, and at half the price of the RS-1, definitely in the same league.

I'd agree with that. They definitely represent a great value for listening to rock music and they're very high on comfort. However, they don't have quite the magic that and RS-1 does.

Also, the RS-1 really does need a tube amp to bring out the best in it. The 990 seemed just fine to me when I heard them on solid state equipment.

You can't go wrong either way. It's pretty much a decision you'll have to make based on budget.

PS--I didn't like the 325i either, but I love the RS-1.

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 14
No contest Beyer 990/05e if you disliked the Grado 325i. I liked the Grado 325 but the RS-1 was a dissapointment at its price. It really should be considered another ~$300USD headphone and even then I'd take the Beyer 990, Senn 650, AKG 701 before I took the Grado RS-1.

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should also add the Grado ear torture/Beyer plushcomfyluxury factor to your equation.

Now you are exaggerating it. 15 hour marathon of Grado wearing without single comfort problem here.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 14
The DT990 would definitely be a good choice here. I don't think you'd find it being too much bass. They are not crazy-bass-heavy like the DT770's of old.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 14
Having not listened to the Grados...

However, my 990s scaled up well with each amplifier upgrade I made, evolving them to be an indespensible choice aside my 701s as a great alternative fun can!

Stay tuned~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back