Beyer 831s
Jan 30, 2002 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Flumpus

Needs more Soylent Greento become Omega Man
Hey guys, had my first experience with these last night. While certainly not long enough to form a solid opinion, my first impressions were very positive. I don't know what I was expecting, I guess something really bright, but that's not what I got. They weren't warm of course, but the top end sounded open and crisp, with no real sibilance. Sounded absolutely fabulous with the Melos (go figure
wink.gif
), so I definitely wanna spend more time with these at the Dallas meeting, or if Kelly comes over again before hand. Any comments on these headphones?

Jan 30, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 5
I think the 831s give you a sense of detail through brightness... but are good phones. I wish mine worked... grr...

Jan 30, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 5
I was just wondering how isolated the 831's are? Do they block out/in as much sound as the Sony V-6's? I understand they sound very good and ae comfortable.

Jan 30, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 5
They're pretty well isolated, I can't hear anything around me when I have them at medium listening volumes.
And that includes people talking, phone ringing, trucks driving past etc.

Jan 30, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 5
The 831s sacrifice a little bit of isolation for comfort. They kill most noise but if my cube neighbor is talking in a normal speaking voice during a quiet part of the song, I can hear a low rumble. That said, I can listen to them as loud as I want and he can't hear them as long as they're on my head.

Thus far, my experiences with the 831s have lead me to enjoy them especially with jazz and classical more than the HD600s. (I know I'm threatening war by saying that so remember that this is opinion.) They sound considerably better to me out of the 120 ohm jack of the HA-1 than out of the 0 ohm jack, however, a convenience I know not everyone has. Even out of a really nice amp, I'd consider making some kind of resistor adapter to see if it made them sound more full.

I really only bought these because I required a closed can for work. It came as a quite a surprise to me that I sometimes prefered them at home. My only real beef with them is that they're made of plastic and don't have the durability of the HD600 and certainly not of the 7506.

Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back