Beware of Sennheiser IE 800 fakes/counterfeits, question for owners
Jan 19, 2015 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wojo

New Head-Fier
Picked up a set of IE 800s off eBay and compared to my legit copy, I found the following differences:

1. IEM
    1. Poor sound quality
    2. Cord length is off (too short). Causes it to not cleanly wrap up in the case because it's not long enough to reach the hole for the headphone side!
  2. Case
    1. Poor stiching
    2. Not as dense foam
    3. Dirty cuts on the foam
    4. Cheaper quality leather
    5. Weak magnetic clasp
    6. When closed, it a little loose looking (not a clean close like a book)
    7. Serial number is not engraved on the plaque

Oddly enough, the IEM itself is of very good visual quality. Seems to be the same materials, cable, etc. 

My question for those that have verified genuine IE 800s: Is your serial number engraved on the plate or just printed on?

From looking around it seems this is the fastest way to tell the difference from pics. Most of the case issues are hard to see unless in person.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 15
We advice all of you to buy from authorized sellers and if you're looking for deals, there's a thread where you could subscribe and check periodically for legitimate deals.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/691594/counterfeited-headphones-list

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 15
Lots of sellers on ebay selling ie800 for 200 to 250$, all are fakes, the label id listed in the product details are not recognized by Sennheiser authentication page.

I reported them to ebay although I didn't buy them, hope some more people reptort them to ebay to prevent innocent people getting fooled.
Note - all these sellers say they are from US but their products are in Hong Kong or sheinzen or somewhere in China

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 15
Even the label ID might be "valid" in terms of passing Sennheiser online authentication check. I posted my experience under Fake Sennheiser thread.
In practice there is not method a layman can spot the difference between legit and counterfeit IE800. There are slight deviations but you need to know what to look and how to compare them to original. Sound? Based on my experience fake Sennheiser IE800 may sound amazing and almost true to the original.

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 15
It's going to be hard to use sound as an indicator of whether it's real or not. Unless you have a confirmed authentic IE800 to compare to, how would you know what a real IE800 sounds like? The sound signature of an IE800, out of the box, probably sounds like lots of other IEMs.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 15
I've heard a few of the fake IE800s and all sounded absolutely horrible. Not in the realm of a $100+ IEM even.

The IEMs themselves are very hard to distinguish from a real one, but the case is where you see a lot of skimping in the leather, foam, etc.

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 15
  It's going to be hard to use sound as an indicator of whether it's real or not. Unless you have a confirmed authentic IE800 to compare to, how would you know what a real IE800 sounds like? The sound signature of an IE800, out of the box, probably sounds like lots of other IEMs.

True but believe me, the sound of my fake IE 800 was heavenly. This is also confirmed by authorised Sennheiser technician, though he might not use these exact words. Very wide soundstage, spacious,
 articulate, and crisp. The tech said there is slight deflection in mid-range but I believe we mere mortals could probably not make any difference between sound of high quality fake and original IE800.

Also, defects in case material and box plastic wrapping are almost impossible to notice unless you have original at hand. Thinking of it I would say magnet was quite weak but I did not have original to compare but what I have seen in IE800 unboxing videos it did not snap.

Serial nro was engraved on the plaque of fake IE800 leather case.

Bottom line: it's unlikely anybody is selling original/brand new/factory sealed Sennheiser IE800 on eBay without warranty documentation and receipt from authorised Sennheiser retailer.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 15
Follow-up Question on Fake IE800?

On the plaque in the leather case. Is the serial number supposed to be ENGRAVED or PRINTED on the plaque. The Name and Model are engraved on the model I have, but is which is the serial number supposed to be.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 15

On the plaque in the leather case. Is the serial number supposed to be ENGRAVED or PRINTED on the plaque. The Name and Model are engraved on the model I have, but is which is the serial number supposed to be.

Thanks!

Sadly I think from the quote above "Serial nro was engraved on the plaque of fake IE800 leather case." it is not a given that engravings = legit.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 15
Just got some new IE800's of Ebay from someone in the UK (I'm in the UK). They came in a sealed box and I can't find any obvious build quality issues, ie issues I've seen from photos on the web etc.
However, I'm not used to using ultra high end IEM's and I'm not fully sure about the sound. I've been using UE Triple fi 10's for over 5 years so have got very accustomed to their sound (paired with Sony NWZ X1060B X). I've also just changed to FiiO X7 with the IE800's.

On the same volume setting, the IE800's are notably quieter - is this right ?

The IE800''s have a 'cleaner' but less 'weighty' sound with better instrument separation. There seems to be more general colouration on the Triple fi's, which is I guess why I liked them in the first place, as when I first got them they sounded far better than my previous earphones (Sony, that cost around £50).

My problem may be that I'm so used to the Triple fi's sound, it may be a case of me needing to 'get used' to the IE800's, or is it more that the IE800's are simply not real IE800's !

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 15

Thanks!

Mine has an etched serial, engraved everything else.

Sep 15, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 15
I bought a pair of the fakes direct from China, figuring maybe they might be decent. Haven't really given, the fakes a good listen till today. I also A-B'd them through my Fiio M11 Pro’s DAP. The fakes are no way in the same league of even 7-11 ear buds. The fake's have little if any bass and they break up way to easily, creating slight distortion at low levels that only gets worse when you increase the volume. Maybe the M11 Pro is too powerful a unit to pair these buds with, but I believe that they would break up regardless the source. I was hoping, but? You know use them at the beach with my cheaper DAP's. Now that I have gone to the Comply foam ear tips on my IE 800's, I am using them a lot more, especially when in bed when napping, sleeping or reading. My real IE 800's are on par with my Senn's HD 700 and HD 820's. You get a big spatial but intimate soundstage with a bass that really creates an endless and enjoyable listen without any fatigue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back