Beware of Foobar2000's converter!
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
Today I've begun to use EAC, and out of curiosity I wanted to re-rip some of my cd's. I use the secure mode on some of them and I did a wave comparison with the same songs I ripped using foobar2000's in-house converter. I discover that nearly every song ripped using the latter has problems of either repeated samples of missing samples. Sometimes as bad as 99 times! I ended up spending an entire day reripping my cd's using EAC (thank god for its Test and Copy Burst mode, otherwise I am in for at least a week of re-ripping).

So the moral of this story? If you are like me too lazy to use special ripping programs like EAC to rip your CD, but resort to instead those included in your music players, chances are your copyes are not perfectly intact, and may infact be very flawed. Please do yourself a favor and test out your foobared files (pun intended)...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 24
I've ripped over 300 CDs to flac using foobar 2K ver 0.8.3. I listen to them on a very hi-end stereo monitoring system and have never noticed any flaws to my ears. This week I added a usb monica dac, and these files sound as good as I've ever heard the music, even direct from the original CDs on a $2,000 Sony CDP.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 24
i use eac and learned to set it right, but i honestly thought it was just paranoia

btw: gonjonno, how do you like that diyparadise dac? i've always been intrigued by their stuff

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 24
Hmmm, I have used both and cannot hear any difference so I'll just stick to foobar for convenience.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 24
Well, the fact is that I have compared the resultant files on a bit-wise level. Of course I don't know exactly what kind of audio info I am missing with foobared rips, but just on the safe side, I am not going back to it anymore; plus, EAC is mighty handy and fast in the first place.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has pretty much nothing to do with SQ. It has to do with archival.

Just google jiggafelz EAC, follow that guide, and use EAC.

Yep, jiggafellz EAC guide leads to a land of sugary ripping goodness.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 24
Sadly EAC is limited to MS Windows only.
frown.gif

Or else it might have been my choice, since its clearly the most regarded CD ripper out there.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 24
SonicDawg, would you please describe how you went about doing your "wave comparison" between EAC converted and Foobar converted files so others can repeat it. Thanks.

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly EAC is limited to MS Windows only.
frown.gif

Or else it might have been my choice, since its clearly the most regarded CD ripper out there.

Doesn't VMWare work on many OS'?

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't VMWare work on many OS'?

Yes. But WMWare (I am using Fusion) don't allow direct access to the hardware. It put some kind of virtual drive emulation in between, which is not a good thing for accurate CD ripping.

Have not tried running EAC through Wine though. Hmmm...

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 24
How about ripping with EAC to wav, and then converting with Foobar2000? Your thread title leads me to believe that you're saying Foobar2000's converting lossless-to-lossless (eg. wav to FLAC) is faulty too?

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SonicDawg, would you please describe how you went about doing your "wave comparison" between EAC converted and Foobar converted files so others can repeat it. Thanks.

Actually it's pretty easy with the latest EAC version. Just rip a test song, one with foobar, another with EAC (preferably twice, one with Secure mode, another with Test & Copy Burst). Then in EAC's menu, go tools-> compare WAVs, there you will see the bit level differences between Foobar ripped wav and EAC ripped wav, sometimes at a egregious level...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back