Better upgrade from my Sound Blaster ZX: External DAC or the ZXR?
Jul 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

apav

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm using a pair of DT 990 Pro 250 ohms for a mix of gaming and music (mostly EDM). As a new enthusiast coming from onboard, the difference is amazing. However, after getting used to them, I have noticed that at a certain volume that scratchy "blown speaker" sound really gets noticeable, and the actual sound is distorted a little. I am also aware that audio fidelity can be even better if I upgraded, so now I am considering it. Only question is upgrading to what?

The ZX has a Cirrus Logic DAC and a Maxim MAX97220A amp, while the ZXR has a Burr-Brown DAC and a 80mw TI TPA6120 amp (among other differences).

So my question is, would getting the ZXR or an external DAC be the better upgrade? Something that can drive my Beyers better, and produce clearer sound. If the better option is going with an external DAC, what would you recommend and would I need an external amp as well? 

I guess my price range for the DAC would be the price difference between the ZX and ZXR, so I'm willing to spend only about $150 total. Is there anything in that price range that would beat upgrading to the ZXR?

Thank you!

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 8
The Sound Blaster Z and Zx both use the same CS4398 DAC chip and the Maxin amp.
(The Zx just comes with that external box)

You might be able to find a used Asus Xonar Essence STX for $150, has the same headphone amplifier as the ZxR.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
The Sound Blaster Z and Zx both use the same CS4398 DAC chip and the Maxin amp.
(The Zx just comes with that external box)

You might be able to find a used Asus Xonar Essence STX for $150, has the same headphone amplifier as the ZxR.

Sorry, not sure if I got the wrong message across in my OP. I currently have the ZX, and I'm looking to get the ZXR or an external DAC, whichever is the better upgrade.

I actually really like this sound card for it's positional audio in games. Even if the Xonar may be better with music, I can't imagine the difference will be noticeable anymore once I do upgrade. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Sorry, not sure if I got the wrong message across in my OP. I currently have the Zx, and I'm looking to get the ZxR or an external DAC, whichever is the better upgrade.

I actually really like this sound card for it's positional audio in games. Even if the Xonar may be better with music, I can't imagine the difference will be noticeable anymore once I do upgrade. 

Ok, so your currently using the Zx.
(I doubt the Xonar STX or ST is that much better in audio quality, over the Zx, if you could even hear a difference)

Do you know for sure the problem is with the sound card?
Have you tried the DT990s plugged into something else, like a stereo receiver?

I own and like the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, just depends on knowing for sure what is causing the "blown speaker" sound, the sound card or headphones?

When you installed the Zx, did you "disable" the on-board audio, in the BIOS?

Maybe there is something not set correctly with the Zx?
Try asking here
http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

For a $175, you could get an Audio Engine D1, an external DAC with headphone amplifier.
You would plug it into the Zx's S/PDIF optical port, so you could still use the Zx's Headphone Surround Sound features.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Did you mean the DT 990? That's what I'm currently using. I think they are perfect for my uses, but I know I could get better/clearer sound out of them if I upgraded a little more. 

Haven't tired disabling on board audio in the BIOS, I thought that didn't matter since I'm using the sound card's audio. I have a CAD HA4 amp, got it for free when I bought the headphones:
http://www.cadaudio.com/H4A.php

Just dug it out of my closet and hooked it up to my sound card. It definitely helps with the volume, but the clarity is the same (naturally), if not a little less because I can hear some static interference. I'm guessing this amp isn't that great.

So you think getting an external DAC (like the Audio Engine D1) would be the better upgrade over getting the ZXR? 

Thank you :)

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 8
OP: are you plugging in your phones directly into the card or through the included ACM? the ACM degrades audio quality, so if you are using it maybe try plugging it directly into the card. more details about the issue here http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-s-rie-z/405

on the note of difference in sound cards, there definitely could be a noticeable difference. I have personally switched between the xonar essence and creative titanium hd, and found the xonar to have punchier and more impactful bass, and the titanium hd to be softer (slightly less harsh than the xonar). but if you want the creative DSP features (i found cmss-3d to be better than xonar's DH), you need an external dac that accepts either coaxil digital or optical digital signals, then connect it to the sound card.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Did you mean the DT 990? That's what I'm currently using. I think they are perfect for my uses, but I know I could get better/clearer sound out of them if I upgraded a little more. 
Haven't tired disabling on board audio in the BIOS, I thought that didn't matter since I'm using the sound card's audio. I have a CAD HA4 amp, got it for free when I bought the headphones:
http://www.cadaudio.com/H4A.php
Just dug it out of my closet and hooked it up to my sound card. It definitely helps with the volume, but the clarity is the same (naturally), if not a little less because I can hear some static interference. I'm guessing this amp isn't that great.
So you think getting an external DAC (like the Audio Engine D1) would be the better upgrade over getting the ZXR? 

Oops, for some reason my brain thought DT770, guess I should wear my reading glasses when on the computer.
I do like my DT990s more then my DT770s.

Please disable the on-board audio (in the BIOS), it might be or maybe not be affecting the audio, but you never know for sure.

ZxR verses D1.
If you sold off the Zx and got the ZxR, it would be a cheaper upgrade.
With the D1, it would move the DAC and amp. from inside the computer case, so the audio would not be affected by any electrical noise (static?) generated inside the computer case.
So I guess the D1 is the safer choice, just costs more.
Might find a good price for a used D1 on Head-Fi's "Amplifiers for Sale" thread or on eBay.

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the input guys. I plugged the headphones directly back into the sound card and it sounds the same to me. I haven't heard any static from this sound card, I've only heard static if I use the ACM's mic or I plug it into the CAD amp. I can get a ZXR for about $195, so if I sell the ZX that's about $95 more versus getting the D1.

But in terms of clearer, better sound, which would be better? I have a feeling the external DAC would win here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back