Better portable connections
Jul 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elektrikgypsy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I've been following Head-Fi for a little while, but this is my first post, and I'm starting a new thread with it, so I hope you can help me!
(I'm sure you can - you're all awesome! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 )

My wonderful vinyl playback system, including Graham Slee head amp and DT770s, are locked up a thousand miles away in storage, so I've been exploring portable/mobile alternatives while waiting (and waiting) to be reunited with it all. 

An optical out, a DACMagic and a pair of Tannoys (with some fancy cabling, granted) blew me away with the quality of sound possible from digital music - even mp3! - at my temporary home, so I set about putting together a reasonable travelling kit to work on the same principles from my MacBook. So far a FiiO E7/E9 combo is sounding great, even through the Sennheiser PX200 II headphones I travel with. 

Now, how can I up the ante with my mobile sound? Obviously, my iPod Nano (3rd gen) through the E5 into those 'phones doesn't sound as good, even with the wonderful AudioMinor custom LOD. I just leapt at the chance to splash out on an E11, thrilled as I've been by the value of the FiiO products I've used so far, but even allowing for more 'burn in', it's left me disappointed - I actually prefer the sound through the amp stage of the E7. 
triportsad.gif
  It's not as precise, but it's much more musical, to my ear. Ideally, I'd like to find a way to use the DAC of the E7 from my iPod, like I do with the MacBook. Do you have any suggestions? I started looking around for iPod dock to mini usb cables, just to try it, but can't actually find any...  (plus the 'universal' bit of usb doesn't seem to take account of types 'a', 'b', four pin, five pin etc etc, so I'd be worried I'd buy the wrong sort anyway). There must be a way, surely?

I'd also be very open to any suggestions for better closed portable headphones than the PX200 IIs, too. I'm a fan of my DT770s, used to the sound signature, and the PXs were the nearest I could find on my budget back then, but time's moved on, and my DTs are still no closer to repatriation...

Sorry, that turned into a long intro. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Skip to the end - iPod / ext DAC pocket solution, and better closed portables than the PX200 IIs. Any helpful suggestions? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 7
With the iPod the only choices are a line-out dock to your amp's input, or getting something like ALO's Algorhythm which is a one of a kind device that connects to the iPod with a USB cable then offers digital and analog outputs (it's a DAC as well as a transport).  There is no way to connect an iPod with USB to a USB DAC, those work with computers only.  

If you want the best possible sound out of a portable setup, the iBasso Pelican and Boomslang2 together make for a very badass balanced setup with an insane amount of power.  It is nearly as good as my home setup which is a full-bore balanced rig.  

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Scootermafia - you've saved me banging my head trying to get digital out. Shame; Nano / E7-as-DAC-and-headamp would have been a nice easy solution. Hey ho. 

I'll check out the Algorhythm, Pelican and Boomslang, though. Any excuse to spend more cash (or dream of it)!

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Until you break into the realm of using LCD-2s and HD800s as portable (or at least transportable) headphones the Pelican/Boomslang2 is probably overkill.  The Algorhythm from all accounts is a great way to use an iPod as a high-quality source though, and since it doubles as a DAC it'd be a pretty good starting point, all you need is an amp to use with it and you're good.  The Pelican is ludicrously powerful with dual batteries pushing out a total of 32 volts, definitely if you want something that can scale up to the biggest headphones it's the way to go.  It's a bit overkill for IEMs though, unless you open it up and set the jumpers to turn down the gain (I have the gain set at max for my HD800s).  

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes, I do have to be realistic about my budget! But that brings me back to my question about better 'phones. Given my peripatetic behaviour, and preference for warmer, musical sound (as opposed to strictly neutral or bright), could you suggest a suitable upgrade for my Sennheiser PX200 IIs? Might that be the best item to upgrade before spending out on something like the Algorhythm?

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 7
I really like Denon D2000s for closed cans.  They are on the big side, but they have such a nice fit and finish and they sound terrific.  The Shure SRH840s are quite accurate, and easily transported, I like them a lot too.  I'm pretty inexperienced with IEMs, but I'm guessing those are not what you're after.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 7
I'll check the Denon's and Shure's out. Yeah, I bought a couple of pairs of IEM's a while back, and persevered for a while, but I much prefer using on or over ear heads now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back