Better for Metal...DT880 or DT990?
Apr 9, 2007 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ecclesand

Headphoneus Supremus
I need help....
confused.gif

I'm returning my 20 day old Grado 325i...they are fun to listen to but are just too bright in the 3k - 7k range. I have read that the DT880 is a pretty good choice for metal but lacks bass. Is the DT990 a better choice? I don't listen to thrash or speed metal, but melodic death metal, symphonic metal, gothic metal, and good old 80s metal. Much of this music is "busy" having many instruments or orchestras so some instrument separation and sound stage is important. Should I get the current version DT880 or current version DT990?

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 32
I don't remember ever reading that the 880 is good for metal. 325i yes, 880 no. I'm thinking of changing from the 880 to 990 which I think should be better if you're set on going with a higher-end beyer.

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember ever reading that the 880 is good for metal. 325i yes, 880 no. I'm thinking of changing from the 880 to 990 which I think should be better if you're set on going with a higher-end beyer.

Read this: DT880 are exceptionally good for metal. Not sure if it's possible to get any better than that.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 32
the classic DT990 is my choice when listening to metal bands like Amon Amarth, I Killed The Prom Queen, God Dethroned, Belphegor, Lyzanxia, Tristania, Meliah Rage, Melechesh...etc. great choice of cans if these kinda metal styles are up your alley.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read this: DT880 are exceptionally good for metal. Not sure if it's possible to get any better than that.
biggrin.gif

So in your opinion the 880 is better than Grado?

I guess I just don't listen to metal much at all to know. I like my 880 for classical mostly
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 32
Honestly I think some of it is going to depend on your source. I listen to metal with K701 and I'm pretty sure a lot of people would consider that bizarre given what I've seen people generally mate the 701 to.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the classic DT990 is my choice when listening to metal bands like Amon Amarth, I Killed The Prom Queen, God Dethroned, Belphegor, Lyzanxia, Tristania, Meliah Rage, Melechesh...etc. great choice of cans if these kinda metal styles are up your alley.

Tristania is one of my favorite bands... If you like Tristania (before Morty left
tongue.gif
), then you'll like Sirenia (Vleland's new band). Their new album is out (with new female singer) titled Nine Destinies and a Downfall. Good stuff!
icon10.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 32
For their better bass response the 990s are often refered to as the Heavy Rock can of the Beyer line .

However, as Andrew above would point out, a balanced phone like the 880s or even the K701s can be entirely enjoyable and maybe even prefered due to personal preferance and associated gears ....

I prefer my RS-2s which have taken over the spot in my collection for harder rock , so off to the F/S subforums my beloved DT-990('05se) shall go soon ...

Good luck ~

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For their better bass response the 990s are often refered to as the Heavy Rock can of the Beyer line .

However, as Andrew above would point out, a balanced phone like the 880s or even the K701s can be entirely enjoyable and maybe even prefered due to personal preferance and associated gears ....

I prefer my RS-2s which have taken over the spot in my collection for harder rock , so off to the F/S subforums my beloved DT-990('05se) shall go soon ...

Good luck ~

not to forget the other Beyer Bass King. the DT770.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #11 of 32
Hi ecclesand,

from what I have heard (and my own experience with the K701 which is supposed to have a similar tonality to the DT880) I would say the DT880 could be for you.
The DT990 tend to have a boomy bass which doesn't really fit your music style.

Also, the orchestration will sound much better with the DT880. As others have said, the DT990 is a fun can to listen to for 'normal' rock and metal, but if it gets any more complicated than that (orchestra...) they will be outperformed by the DT880 imho.

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 32
IMO, the DT880 lacks a bit emotion. Why not try out an Alessandro?

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not to forget the other Beyer Bass King. the DT770.

Well said, and I would have to agree if BASS response is the singular criteria for the cans selection, as well maybe the case for certain generes and personal preferance.

However, for more articulate bass quality over quantity along with more midrange detail potential , the 990s are that can in the Beyer lineup. Also, so can the 880s be sufficent with regards to bass response presupposing the associated gears are well chosen , as is always the case.

Preferance also then comes down to our referance for comparison , and even more so selected music to be played....

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 32
The recessed mids can be an issue with the 770 and 990. Can make some fast paced music sound compressed.

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The recessed mids can be an issue with the 770 and 990. Can make some fast paced music sound compressed.

Again, as compared to what as referance. I suppose you would say the 880s and I would agree somewhat.

Which then IMO comes down to associated gears. Case in point my MAD brings the mids forward and adds to the bass response of the 990s so as to be more impactful and nicely articulated and NEVER boomy or one notedness. Ergo my inclusion of the importance of associated gears being determinant as to the at ear response of the 990s.... Also, possibly a lesser tube amp will have a softer or rounder bass response.

I also for instance , use a Bottlehead Foreplay tube preamp feeding my Headfive for an exceedingly wounderously wide headstage with the 990s , having great control over the lower registers with a forwardness brought to the midrange FWIW (;-}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back