Better Foobar REsampler?
May 24, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The SSRC resampler is one of the best free resamplers out there. Compared to the resampler in the ASIO output plugin for Winamp (set to the highest quality mode) it isn't quite as good, but that resampler also uses much more CPU. The PPHS resampler for Foobar is slightly lower in sound quality than the SSRC resampler (though they're still very close, I can't tell the difference between them), but it's quite good for the amount of CPU it uses. The SRC resampler (one S) isn't very good compared to either the SSRC or PPHS resamplers, and it uses the most CPU.

I prefer the result of PPHS 96k resampler sometimes as it gives more bass , what a nerd
the SSRC on 96k / which results bass lighter / seems a more refined processing for all the frqs.
basic results to my ears , the sound is more smooth top to bottom , but also less dynamic and less upfront ( also where it probably meant to be upfront )
have to agree that is quite good for ex. for old rock recordings that need some polish cream
and also separation of instruments seems to improve sometimes

May 26, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #18 of 23
(out of Foobar):

I'm using NI Traktor BeatPort Player (freeware) w/ Audigy 2/Creative ASIO drivers (only 16-bit/48 kHz mode avail.). The player (must) have 'automatic' SRC (and dithering too I suppose) build-in, because I can play everything between 16-bit/44.1 - 24-bit/192 kHz (well, not all 24-bit/192 kHz sources --> files converted using "dBpowerAMP Music Converter" won't play?, but those converted using "Voxengo r8brain" (free) does).

Question:
Have/could anyone test(ed)/compar(ed) the NI-TBP Player SRC quality against the other ones mentioned here?

This question become into mind because of, the NI (Native Instruments) is a developer for Pro audio software (like "Traktor DJ Studio", all kind of virtual instruments (VSTi/DXi/...'s) used on recording studios too, etc.). The 'audio engine' used on BeatPort player is said to be the same used on Traktor DJ Studio Pro.

Because of the limitations on Audigy 2 card and Creative native ASIO driver, I can't up-sample other than from 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz w/ native ASIO drivers (actually this is the only output I can get w/ ASIO --> already resampled) so my testing possibilities are quite limited. IMO the BP Player output sounds better than others I've tried (maybe this SRC is the reason because my sources are mainly 16-bit/44.1 kHz)).

jiitee

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by acedriver
Secret Rabbit Code Resampler for foobar2000 v0.9.x

http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/fb2k.html

The new version is in BETA and I'm testing it. It will work with the new version of Foobar2000, but not the older versions. I wrap it with my products. I believe that Erik would like donations in order to maintain the code.

I feel that SRC is by far the best resampler on the market. This is why I paid the license fee.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 23
Seems like a lot of effort was put into this resampler (SRC). I can see the reasons for wanting to use the best when converting audio up to 48 or down to 44.1, but for the hi-fi user does this have any practical application? I'm curious what effects to expect using a high quality resampler like SRC for people who listen to music on hifi gear vs something faster like PPHS/SSRC.

-Joe

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erukian
Seems like a lot of effort was put into this resampler (SRC). I can see the reasons for wanting to use the best when converting audio up to 48 or down to 44.1, but for the hi-fi user does this have any practical application? I'm curious what effects to expect using a high quality resampler like SRC for people who listen to music on hifi gear vs something faster like PPHS/SSRC.

-Joe

SRC is more liquid and analog-like than SSRC without losing detail. I use it with my reference system.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back