Best way to change my music bit rate?
Jan 19, 2010 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
Right now all my music is Apple Lossless. But I don't have enough space on my ipod to hold it all so I want to downsize it to 320Kbps.
What the best and easiest way to do this. I know I can make a copy in iTunes to 320Kbps but then I have to filter out the Lossless (as best I can tell anyway).
Preferably I'd like to be able to keep the lossless files on an external hard drive as backup.

Any recommendations and help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 11
I would use an application like Max to convert the files from Apple Lossless to AAC.
Then store these AAC files wherever you need for later use.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 11
I need to do some FLAC > mp3 conversion for a mate. Normally I use Foobar for this but because of the huge amount of conversion I need to do I figured there is probably a better solution. What do you recommend?

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to do some FLAC > mp3 conversion for a mate. Normally I use Foobar for this but because of the huge amount of conversion I need to do I figured there is probably a better solution. What do you recommend?

dBPowerAmp Batch Converter.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

If you don't mind me making a shameless plug, I wrote FlacSquisher for just this purpose. It's free and open source, and fairly stable by now. I have a few things to fix with it, but it works pretty well as-is.

As for the OP, if you're running on a Mac, I think krmathis' link looks like it will do you well. If you're on Windows, I think Foobar2000 with the ALAC plugin is your best bet.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Best to make a copy of your iTunes library, rename it and then work on that for your conversion. If anything goes wrong you still have your original library intact.
If you are on Mac you might want to try Amadeus's Batch conversion tool.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I use FLAC Frontend.

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would use an application like Max to convert the files from Apple Lossless to AAC.
Then store these AAC files wherever you need for later use.

I second this, MAX is a great program for audio converting. If you're using windows, EAC is also a very popular choice.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 11
if you use windows like me hold shift while opening itunes and it'll ask you to choose or create new library, you can create a new library and add all the lossless files from your original library (uncheck "copy files to itunes media folder" under preferences or it'll create duplicates), then create 256 vbr versions from those songs, which sounds good enough for ipod imo. delete the lossless from the new library and that way you can have separate libraries for portable and lossless.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 11
For your info the OP list "2.6 Ghz Macbook Pro 17"" in his profile, so 99.9% sure he want a Mac OS X solution.
Take that in mind...

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your info the OP list "2.6 Ghz Macbook Pro 17"" in his profile, so 99.9% sure he want a Mac OS X solution.
Take that in mind...

Kai, my suggestion (Reply#6) is for Macs, very easy I have done it many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back