Best USB to SPDIF under 250$
Jan 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #16 of 37
gtfo

Code:
 ░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄ ░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄ ░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█ ░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█ ░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█ █▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█ █▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█ ░█▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█ ░░█░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█ ░░░█░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█ ░░░░█░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░███████░█ ░░░░░▀▄░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█ ░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░█ ░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░█ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░█

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #17 of 37
uhh. im doing "research" here, bud. As well as other forums, reviews, product sites etc. And many of the products you listed have been measured and the data is availible.

Im pretty positive the Audio GD DI is the best thing in that price range. I just wanted a little confirmation. All my research leads me to it.

lol gtfo

I don't know What you are doing in my thread, as it does not look like you've heard ANY of the products im asking about. At least by your sig - and even if you had you probably wouldent be able to tell the difference with that lo-fi setup.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #18 of 37
Lemme know what you think MikeW.  I am building an AudioNoteKits DAC4.1, which will not reach 24/192, but rather max at 18/96 via SPDIF coax, or AES.  I plan on just using my Halide Bridge for now, but am open to improvements, as things tend to improve over time.  Also, despite the magic little Halide Bridge component, one wonders what a  better power supply, bigger caps, and better clocks will do.  I am looking at the Stello U3 as well, and it gets good reviews.  But I would like to hear your impressions with the AudioGD unit as well.  I still have a month or so to piddle through my construction, and am not in a hurry to replace the Halide, just looking.

PS, from Houston myself, went to Trinity back in the day.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #22 of 37
There are so many these days, this part of the market is really moving incredibly fast.  The V-link has gotten good reviews, and can be had for only $99.  The MDHT Bridge, from the makers of the Havanna tube Dac, also looks very good at $175.  Anedio's U2 is more expensive than you want at $390, but if you could get someone to buy it for you, those who purchased the D1 dac are eligable for a special discount price of $240.  While power supply is usually incredibly important, I've read multiple accounts of the audio-gd DI not being improved much with the power source - not sure why, but I'd just get the B level DI and call it a day for $150, rather than pushing $300, where you could get better options.  There are two Halides fs right now for $250 and $300, in addition to tim's Audiophilleo WHICH I WISH I COULD BUY 
rolleyes.gif
 for $510.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #23 of 37
There's one in the FS forum right now for 250$, im not sure the Halide is better then the DI, from those that have compared the two, the DI seems to fair better, but i have not read alot of comparisons.

Quote:
thanks for the Halide Design mention earlier as that is the first i've heard of the company.  i like the simplicity of their products, though not their prices...

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #24 of 37
That bel canto 24/96 looks ancient.. not to impressed by today's standards.. just looks like a off the shelf usb spdif, the best thing is its' galvanically isolated, but so is this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANMUSIC-FM-6011-COAX-USB-SPDIF-COAX-Converter-NEW-/110606570036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0aa5234

edit: nevermind that thing is using Centrance async code.. hmm maybe it's better then I gave it credit for. but it's still really old!

That Anedio U2 looks pretty sweet! like a 390$ stello U3

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #26 of 37

Quote:
That bel canto 24/96 looks ancient.. not to impressed by today's standards.. just looks like a off the shelf usb spdif, the best thing is its' galvanically isolated, but so is this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANMUSIC-FM-6011-COAX-USB-SPDIF-COAX-Converter-NEW-/110606570036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0aa5234

edit: nevermind that thing is using Centrance async code.. hmm maybe it's better then I gave it credit for. but it's still really old!

That Anedio U2 looks pretty sweet! like a 390$ stello U3

Galvanically isolated is just a fancy way to say that the USB power is isolated from the S/PDIF terminal. As for being old I dare say some things haven't been improved in many years and iterations. Sometimes things are done right the first time. I've been eyeing one to accompany a new DAC for my Corda HA-II MKII by eliminating the need for a built in USB I get a lot more choices. (I need optical for my PS3 and XBox when I game at night.)

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #27 of 37
i was in the market for a USB to SPDIF converter and settled on the V-Link, mainly due to several positive reviews and price ($99 new).

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #28 of 37
So what did you think of the V-Link in your setup? Noticeable improvements? 

I'd generally agree with you 65535 about things being done right the first time, but these USB SPDIF converters have been moving so fast, changing

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:
There's one in the FS forum right now for 250$, im not sure the Halide is better then the DI, from those that have compared the two, the DI seems to fair better, but i have not read alot of comparisons.

I would respectfully disagree.  From what I have read, the $400+ Halide should mop the floor with the Audio-GD DI, even with the power adapter.  That's not to say it's worth the price now, however, and for the price, the DI is the much, much better deal (though it might be bested by the V-Link now.)

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 37
When you say "bested" by V-link you mean as the Value proposition right? not overall performance?

Yeah, maybe so, 99 vs 170$.

every comparison i read of v-link vs DI, di won.

that won't last forever though, when those units sell out, it will be back to 189$ (V-link II)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back