Best ultra portable amps (very small amps)
Jan 31, 2010 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Hyperfluxe

100+ Head-Fier
Hey

I'm looking into purchasing an amp for my RE0 and iPod Classic 160GB (2009). I am getting an LOD, so no worries about that. I already made a thread asking for the best for under 30$, but I think that I can raise my budget up.

I need an amp that is TINY. That is vital, as it needs to fit in one of my jeans pocket with my iPod Classic. I've been looking at iBassos...they look good, but I think that they are too big. The Fiio E5 is tiny, and that's what I need, but the SQ improvement is not dramatic apparently, so if there's anything better with the same size (or a little big bigger), I am willing to pay the price premium. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 32
RSA " The shadow" and the new Pico slim that just hit the scene, price is pretty steep but you get top SQ. If that's to pricey go to the Head-direct website and check out the minibox D or F there pretty small. hope that helps.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 32
The RSA Shadow's size is great, but it's too expensive indeed. I'm looking for something cheaper than 100$. I checked out the Miniboxes, they seem good. Any other suggestions?

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 32
I posted a size comparison of the various options here.

And after having used both myself, I can say that the Filo e5 is really not much smaller than the ibasso T3 - and the T3 sounds a LOT better. The e5 is actually thicker than the T3, and it makes a difference in the feel.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 32
RSA Shadow and/or HeadAmp Pico Slim...
From posted pictures they seems to be really small.
smile.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 32
I can bet minibox-f would drive re0 not worse than shadow, I tried minibox-d with them (same as f , but some reports f is even better than d) and synergy was great , better than ibasso t3, but I only listened for a few moments.

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 32
What makes the Minibox F better than the Minibox D?

Sometime soon either the E5 or Minibox will be needed. I read the Miniboxes also worked with very low impedance headphones. I want to experiment with my old Monitor 10s to find out if amping them somewhat improves their sound. Otherwise a cMoy or amplifier based on that model is better.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Minibox is a good budget choice. Shadow is a superb up-scale choice. Tried and like both; use Shadow now every day with Gen 3 iPod Nano, nice fit.

Hi, if you have the MiniBox-E+ w/ the switches try to get a pair of AD797 op-amps to replace the pair of AD8610. I am enclosing a picture showing the AD797 in use. Cheers.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 32
I've compared the sizes using this very useful website: Sized Up: Apple iPhone vs Pack Of Playing Cards

The Minibox amps are too big for me in depth, it's thicker than my iPod. I was surprised when I saw the iBasso T3/T4 aren't that big. They're a bit bigger in height than a E5, but smaller in width and depth. I'm seriously considering the iBasso T3 or T4 for their price. Are there any other ultra portable amps that I should be aware of in the sub-120$ price range? Thanks.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA Shadow and/or HeadAmp Pico Slim...
From posted pictures they seems to be really small.
smile.gif

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back