Best Sub $450 Value CIEM for clarity, detail, extension, and slam: JH5 vs. Cosmic Ears BA3 vs. Alien Ears C3/CFR3 vs. 1964 Ears V3
Jul 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Barra

Headphoneus Supremus
Reading through the forums to try to compare these value CIEMs is torturous, so I was hoping to start a discussion here to gain perspective as well as add new options. The threads hold very few actual reviews or comparisons to provide prospective, mostly chitchat and speculation. If anyone owns or has auditioned any of these CIEMs or anything within the price range, please add your two cents. I will be actively seeking out owners and PMing them for their input. What I would like to be able to do in the end is provide everyone with a chart that specifies sound signature, configuration, customer service notes, and links to reviews. I will save space for the chart and start the discussion with my own considerations.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Saved space for detailed chart and links to reviews

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 7
My goal from this information is to be able to buy my wife her first CIEM. I have just gotten my first, the Hidition NT6 Pro, and couldn't believe what I had been missing all this time. However, while I baby my equipment, my wife is rather rough on hers going through a pair of headphones every quarter given her active lifestyle. Therefore, it makes more sense to get something that costs less for her so that I don't cry as hard when they quickly get destroyed. Hopefully after hearing what she has been missing, she will be more careful with hers as well.

Goals:
  • Price: I am trying to stay at or under $400 so that i don't cry too hard when they are ruined quickly. I started my search looking at Cosmic Ears who has reasonably priced CIEMs, but I am not finding any good perspectives on the sound quality vs. other IEMs that I own unless I am missing the TF10/Brainwavz B2 comparisons somewhere.
  • Signature: My wife typically goes for a V signature as she likes trance that benefits from the enhanced bass. However, she would probably appreciate more clarity, detail, and extension given enough slam. If I could find something that sounds like my TF10s or better, she would be very happy. She listens mainly to trance, electronic, chill, and self-help seminars so extended sub-bass and treble as well as smooth not too recessed mids would be great. Clarity is an obvious given desire.
  • Isolation: General noise (including my snoring) easily irritates my wife, so great isolation would be a key goal. I was eyeing the Cosmic Ears 3-way hybrid, but I am assuming it would have a bass port that would destroy the isolation. I was thinking that a deeper insertion would be better for greater isolation - musicians fit - so I am hoping that is an option.
  • Configuration: I was looking at the TF10 as my model so I have been searching for a 3 BA setup to match. But sound quality is more important obviously.
  • Build: The cable will be the most likely target of abuse, so being easily replaceable would be important. That includes being able to easily find an inexpensive replacement cable. The cable socket is the second most likely target of abuse so it needs to be well made and able to take hard pulls on the cable. Furthermore, the shells themselves need to be reasonably non-fragile.

Am I asking too much out of $400? 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 7
You aren't far from 1964 Ears - may want to at least consider them - I have heard good things about the V3

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 7
Looks like the final 3 CIEMs got cut off from my long winded title:

Best Sub $450 Value CIEM for clarity, detail, extension, and slam: JH5 vs. Cosmic Ears BA3 vs. Alien Ears C3/CFR3 vs. 1964 Ears V3

They are definitely up for consideration, but they are the high priced CIEM on the list. Portland is a couple hours away and they only see people by appointment and during the weekdays. Unfortunately, my trips through Portland are always during the weekend, so to audition them, I would have to take a day off work and take my wife and two year old. After all, this is supposed to be for her. 
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Um how are you going to get impressions done then?  Also if isolation is important as well as price then you could take a look at custom-art based in poland that's just starting up.  Silicone instead of acryllic so could be more comfortable.  $226 for the music one model not including postage and impressions.

Oh from what I remember alien ears doesn't seem to have a good rep on these boards so may want to knock that one off the list.  Also might be worth pm'ing average joe and seeing what he thinks.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-26-reviews-um-pp6-added-3-12-13

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Average_joe actually helped me decide on my first ciem and I pm'ed him before starting this thread, but his experience has been primarily with the upper tier vs. value ciems. Before deciding on the hidition nt6 pros, I had my eye on the silicone spiral ear 5 ways who I believe is also in Poland. However, they refuse to ship to the united states directly due to customs issues going outside the eu. Custom charges are ridiculously high and can get double charged during refits. So I wrote them off the list. However, silicone has been discussed as more fragile making it easier for my wife to break so I hadn't really considered it. What company are you referring to? What is the configuration of the music one - single, double, triple, ba or dynamic? Any reviews?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back