Best sub-$300 Solid-State Amplifier from a US based dealer?
Aug 25, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #16 of 25

I'm just trying to go for the least coloration of my music, and i don't want any tube warming up the sound or adding things to the music that's not there. But to be honest, i have not heard a tube headphone amp.

Quote:
Just curious, but why no tube amps? Have you heard them? I find SS to be sterile and uninteresting to say the least.

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 25
Coloration is not a bad thing. All of the products we use color the sound in their own way, some more than others. As headphone enthusiasts we're already working at a disadvantage with 99% of the music we listen to intended and mastered for speaker presentation. I feel the tube sound brings back a bit of the live feel, instead of more of the same squeaky clean over-produced sound I hear from SS amps. The best way I can describe it is that with SS amps I hear sound, and with tube amps I hear music. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but one I've developed after listening to many amps. Sometimes I'll find a tube amp that doesn't sound very appealing but it's extremely rare to find a musical SS amp. All my opinion of course, but I do encourage you to try one at some point either by purchasing one to trial or attending a meet. I'm always up for trying (almost) anything once to see if it's better without preconceived bias.

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #18 of 25

[size=medium]
I can kinda understand what your saying, but i guess im not ready to jump into the whole tube sound yet. Right now, im more interested in doing an apples-to-apples comparison to see if a more robust SS amp solution will perform any better than my regular AV and computer equipment.

A tube amp will obviously sound quite different, making such a comparison unecessary for my purposes which is more towards the analytical side of things. Plus, I am on a budget and its easier to find a quality SS solution than a tube one.
[/size]

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:

Wow! They really believe in and stand behind this amp. I had all but decided on a new Little Dot I+ for a pair of 601's? Can anyone link me to more Asgard info? Preferably a review of some sort. Is it a good mate for the AKG's?

There are two huge topics concerning the Asgard (and Valhalla):
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497614/cool-looking-schiit
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497902/schiit-asgard-unboxing-and-first-impressions

And then Schiits website:
http://schiit.com/

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Plus, I am on a budget and its easier to find a quality SS solution than a tube one.

I need a high current amp for AKG 601's and am finding the opposite to be true. So far the $250 Asgard is the cheapest high quality SS I believe is available and it may not be a good match for AKS's. On the other hand a Little Dot I+ will set me back <$150.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 25
Well i pulled the trigger on the Asgard, though it's currently backordered till end of August.

thanks for the recommendations; will post some photos and comparisons when i get it.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #22 of 25
I'm trying to figure out the topology of doing an A/B test between the Asgard and my Onkyo 805.

Right now, i have my soundcard hooked up to the 805 via SPDIF and L/R analog out. Since im comparing amps (instead of DACs), i would only use the analog outs, but I have to split/duplicate the signal so that each amp receives the same signal.

Im thinking of just using a simple RCA splitter cable duplicate the signal to each amp. Originally, i was going to use the preouts on my 805 to output to the Asgard,l but then the Asgard would be receiving a preamped signal which may taint the experiment. What do you guys recommend?

I will be using the following A/B switch which will be at the end of the chain where the headphones plug into: http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=SES-MP3-RCA-AB

*UPDATE* I forgot you could use the soundcards ASIO drivers to direct the L/R channels to any of the other analog outputs. I will probably route them to the surround L/R and surroundback L/R analog outs and run those to the amps for comparison. Can't use the front L/R analog outs since they use different opamps than the other outputs.

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
I'm just trying to go for the least coloration of my music, and i don't want any tube warming up the sound or adding things to the music that's not there. But to be honest, i have not heard a tube headphone amp.

Just thought I would hop in and say that the Maverick Audio A1 you mentioned is a pure-tube amp for the headphone output. The speaker outputs are hybrid (tube pre-amp with solid-state power chip).

*EDIT*
I read the post above mine, but not the one above it. I didn't realize you pulled the trigger on another unit. Oh well.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 25
heh, the OP basically described this "schiit asgard" in all but name only, funny
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 25

Quote:
heh, the OP basically described this "schiit asgard" in all but name only, funny
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Yeah, I was thinking of that, too.

The only way he could've hinted more at the Asgard was if he said something like:

Best sub-$300 Solid-State Amplifier from a US based dealer. Must be silver, be extremely hot. Needs to be built by this guy whose name starts with J and rhymes with Mason. Name of amp must also rhyme with Dasgard. And, oh yeah, did I mention I loved Norse mythology?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back