Best Stoner Rock Album
May 13, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #46 of 69
Y'know, there is a site called stonerrock.com. Lots of stoner rock resources. I only just found it, take a look, it seems to be a good resource.

May 13, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
oh man... you're right in the heart of ween territory, aren't you... that oh/pa/nj circuit.. you lucky dog.

i saw ween in atlanta when they were touring for pure guava, and then with their first full band for chocolate and cheese. the first show they were so gone it was just funny. the second show was unfreakinbelievable. still ranks as one of the best live shows i've ever seen.

OK.. speaking of Shimmy Disc, have you heard the Tinklers? Maybe this doesn't belong in the stoner thread, but their album SAPLINGS is one of the most twisted records ever done.

Though for truly twisted and sick, it's got to be Happy Flowers.

Though, old King Missile comes to mind now too. I think they had one on Shimmy, didn't they? I know "Detachable Penis" got all the credit, but they had some pretty demented stuff before that..

Man, I should throw a party and play nothing but Ween, Tinklers, Happy Flowers and King Missile. Don't forget the Scotchguard powered bongs!
smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

May 13, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
OK.. speaking of Shimmy Disc, have you heard the Tinklers? Maybe this doesn't belong in the stoner thread, but their album SAPLINGS is one of the most twisted records ever done.

Though for truly twisted and sick, it's got to be Happy Flowers.

Though, old King Missile comes to mind now too. I think they had one on Shimmy, didn't they? I know "Detachable Penis" got all the credit, but they had some pretty demented stuff before that..

Man, I should throw a party and play nothing but Ween, Tinklers, Happy Flowers and King Missile. Don't forget the Scotchguard powered bongs!
smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

add Bongwater, Dogbowl and B.A.L.L. and you've got a veritable Kramer-fest.

but actually... i've never listened to tinkler... now you have me intrigued.

May 13, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #49 of 69
Wow, finally a post about that wonderful genre stoner rock :)
Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun tops my list without a doubt.
I also love QOTSA's self-titled debut, and their newest is awesome- it combines the best elements from their previous realeases without the downright poppiness of Rated-R.
Goatsnake's I is also very enjoyable.
I also like most of Fu Manchu's stuff (although they are pretty much generic stoner-rock...)

I also recommend Lowrider, as someone else already did, and Electric Wizard is can't miss stoner metal.

May 14, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #50 of 69
Yob's "Illusion of Motion" is absolutely stunning stoner doom metal. IMO, the stoner doom holy trinity is as follows:

Electric Wizard "Dopethrone" / Ufomammut "Snailking" / Yob "Illusion of Motion"

May 15, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #51 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
So coincidental, but without seeing this thread, I was listening to Kyuss Blues for the Red Sun this a.m. on my commute (with my iPod 4G and Meier Porta Corda and Sennheiser HD-25s...nice!).

I listened to it on my stereo this morning. Great album for that lethargic first hour of being awake.

I'll also give my recommendation to Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone". I listened to that at least once a day for the first 2 or 3 weeks after I got it. Then, of course, there's Black Sabbath. To quote the almighty Cheech and Chong:

"One day I played Black Sabbath at 78 speed, man."
"Then what happened?"
"I saw God."

Aug 20, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #52 of 69
In addition to all the great bands already listed, add the band Pelican.

From the liner notes:

"Channeling the seasonal progressions of various far-flung landscapes, the sounds of Pelican are easily adaptable to both the active and passive listening experience, but their harmonic minutiae are best appreciated in a high-volume stereophonic headphone scenario."

Melodic sludge ala Kyuss from a Hardcore perspective.

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by anikulapo
Pelican..."best appreciated in a high-volume stereophonic headphone scenario."

Second that! Cool band. I'm listening to Fire in our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw right now........but check out their earlier self-titled EP first for some wunnerful Pelican purity. Hi Fi? Eh? Your cans will cough blood...
basshead.gif

Tusk's Tree of No Return has been getting some headtime too lately, once I decided to lay aside Isis' Panopticon for awhile....talking of which,anyone heard the Oceanic remixes CD? Worth having?

steviebee

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee
anyone heard the Oceanic remixes CD? Worth having?

I have 2 of the 4 12"s, so half of the stuff on that disc, and the other half I have MP3s of that I've listened to only once. It's definitely really good, but most of the remixes are more along the lines of experimental semi-ambient electronic stuff, so you have to take your affinity for that sort of thing into consideration. I can only really comment on the half that I've heard a bunch of times, but I'm kind of assuming the quality level is relatively similar for the rest. Also, the Patton remix is really good. It's more just a song unto itself, he sings on it, presumably using the original track to make the rest of it.

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #55 of 69
Dark metal icons Amott brothers (Arch Enemy, Carcass etc) have stoner group called Spiritual Beggars which is worth seeking out, I have:

Spiritual Beggars - Demons
Spiritual Beggars - On Fire

Stoner seems to be popular in Nordic and European mainland......still think best of breed here is USA groups like Kyuss, Monster Magnet etc.

Recently picked up several Pentagram and Obsessed CDs for historical perspective of the disciples of Black Sabbath.

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Led Zep - Physical Graffiti

Yep, especially "In The Light". John Paul Jones' Hammond organ work on that track will trip you out even if your not buzzed. But the ultimate "stoner" album is The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (IMO).

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Dark metal icons Amott brothers (Arch Enemy, Carcass etc) have stoner group called Spiritual Beggars which is worth seeking out, I have:

Spiritual Beggars - Demons
Spiritual Beggars - On Fire

I am probably wrong but isn't one of the members of In flames a member or was a member of Spiritual Beggars ?
Also I do not think anyone has mentioned Trouble

Aug 21, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dapperbandit
I am probably wrong but isn't one of the members of In flames a member or was a member of Spiritual Beggars ?

Over in nordic countries very common for musician to be in many bands. Current line-up features Sharlee D'angelo bass player in many bands (mercyful fate, arch enemy, sinergy etc) and keyboards has Per Wiberg (opeth) guitarist is Mike Amott.

Very possible that in past an In Flames member was in group, but don't know who or when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back