Best SQ of all the High-End Players
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DotChannel

Head-Fier
What are the pros and cons of all these high-end players/which one has the best SQ? I am on a desperate chase to find which one has the best SQ. Here are the ones I think could have potential (if there is another player you think is better than all of these, please do tell):

* Colorfly Pocket HiFi C4 Pro
         Pros:  ???
         Cons: ???

* Hisoundaudio Studio-V
         Pros:  ???

* HiFiMan HM-801
         Pros:  ???

* SFlo:2
         SQ (unamped): 6/10
         SQ (amped with Just Audio UHA 120): 8/10
         Pros:
         Detailed bass.
         Line Out.
         Cons: 
         Too many bugs and glitches.
         Rolled off treble.
* Little Dot DP_I
         Pros: ???

If there is anyone who has heard all of them, I think your opinion is the most important. :) In the meantime, I will be keeping tabs on your observations so we can get an answer.

P.S. If you're just going to say that the iPod is the best, come on, and get with reality.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 20
I don't think anyone have heard them all. I have the S Flo2 and I don't like the sound through the headphone out but with an amp it sounds very good. But I don't use it anymore.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:

How would you rate the SQ on a scale of 1-10? Also, what is the amp you use for your S Flo:2?

Compared to an ipod the sound is more mellow and heavy guitars sound to laidback. I don't think its suited very well with the music I listen to (Heavy Metal) And the treble is rolled off , but when I connect my Just Audio UHA 120 everyhing greatly improves. It does sounds better with other genres. 

Pros:
Good Sound with the right genre.
Great deatailed bass
Line Out

Cons:
Rolled of treble
Lots of bugs
Breaks very easily

Sound: 6/10
With amp 8/10
Overall: 5/10
To many bugs and glitches , but very good sound through the Lineout.

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 20
I have the HSA Studio-V. It's a very neutral player and can drive a lot of headphones & IEM's. My 2 cents.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 20
HM-801 is the best up to date in terms of SQ.
Pros: extra control buttons on top, USB and opt (or coax?) DAC, upgradable amp.
Cons: bulky, proprietary and bulky again power supply.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 20
There are numerous posts on alot of the players that you are inquiring about.  Everyone's opinion will be different due to a number of factors.  Do yourself a favor and search through the forums and gather information before you make a decision.  Many members here may not post because most of the information is out there if you search for it.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 20
HM-801, C4 and HM-602.

With regards of the DAPs based on Wolfson DACs (say SFlo:2): I do not want to spend time on them. I tried numerous Wolfson-based portable USB DACs. Even the best of them (D12 with dual WM8740) yields to any of three DAPs I mentioned above.

Quote:
How do you know that for sure? Have you tried any of the other players?

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 20
LD DP_I is also WM8740 based.
With regards to HiSound - I tried some of their DAPs (not Studio-V though) and I have no more trust in them.

Have funds? Go with HM-801.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back