Best sound + build quality under USD 160?
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Stuff Jones

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking to make the jump into higher priced IEMs. My sound preferences are for a balanced to warm sound, erring towards musicality rather than analytical. I am looking for a good soundstage.

The music I listen to varies but is mainly instrumental including jazz, classical, world and electronic.

I place a huge emphasis on build quality, especially at this price. I use my IEMs daily on my commute and have gone through several models in about 6 months each until I found the rugged, versatile Brainwavz M2. 

Two deal breakers for me: amping and over the ear wearing, ruling out the RE262 and GR07.

On my radar right now are the Yamaha EPH-100s, the JVC FXT90s and the TDK BA200s. The TDKs sound like by far the best match sound wise, but I have questions about their build quality and if they can be worn straight down.

Any suggestions, either from the above or additional models I should think of?

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 4
The Brainwavz M2 sounds pretty good for the price.  It also measures well.  I like mine with a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips which really improves the seal as well as comfort.  I have even used mine on a plane with no issues.

Brainwavz M2 Charts:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2611&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=3281

Something else that receives a lot of attention here at low cost is the Monoprice 8320 for around $7 new.  Some really like its sound, but a few have found them a tad uncomfortable.

Perhaps you want something better sounding rather than just more expensive?

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
The Brainwavz M2 sounds pretty good for the price.  It also measures well.  I like mine with a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips which really improves the seal as well as comfort.  I have even used mine on a plane with no issues.

Brainwavz M2 Charts:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2611&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=3281

Something else that receives a lot of attention here at low cost is the Monoprice 8320 for around $7 new.  Some really like its sound, but a few have found them a tad uncomfortable.

Perhaps you want something better sounding rather than just more expensive?

I do like my M2.

Yes of course I want better sounding, not just more expensive! I was hoping for the best upgrade over my M2s less than $160. The cheaper that upgrade is, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back