Best Solid State (SS) desktop amp under $350
Aug 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

What are the current players in the solid state desktop amp market? It seemed like before there were more SS choices. Besides the Schiit Asgard ($250), what other choices are there?

How does the Asgard rank compared the M^3, PPA, PPA2, Beta 22, etc?

Thanks.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 51
I'd say the O2+ODAC is pretty good.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 51
I've been tempted to get a O2 + ODAC but if that's the case, I'll just wait for the Desktop O2 + ODAC release. The reality is, I would always be using it at my desk anyway so no point in buying something made to be portable and inherit the compromises that come with that.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 51
If you're looking dac and amp - I really like the Audio-gd NFB-12.  Relatively compact, good dac (a touch of warmth & plenty of body), powerful amp, black background.

Won't be the most ultra detailed - but I love mine.  Worth looking at. Very good value for the price.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 51
Quote:
I've been tempted to get a O2 + ODAC but if that's the case, I'll just wait for the Desktop O2 + ODAC release. The reality is, I would always be using it at my desk anyway so no point in buying something made to be portable and inherit the compromises that come with that.

The O2 + ODAC is not portable, in the sense that it doesn't have batteries (that space is taken up by the ODAC pcb) so you cannot use it outside. Just that the 'form factor' is portable like.
The only difference is that the power comes from a wall mounted supply. I'd say its both a good and a bad thing.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 51
I know you are trying to help so thanks but yes, i understand the sizing of the O2 + ODAC. Let me rephrase - I don't want the O2 + ODAC. I want the Objective Desktop Amp version when it comes out - regardless of the size of the current O2.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:
I know you are trying to help so thanks but yes, i understand the sizing of the O2 + ODAC. Let me rephrase - I don't want the O2 + ODAC. I want the Objective Desktop Amp version when it comes out - regardless of the size of the current O2.

Sure if you can wait then why not.

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 51
I've been doing a similar search.  Be sure to check out the Matrix M-Stage.

Brooko, how do you feel about the treble rolloff mentioned on the NFB-12?  Obviously you like the amp, so I guess I already know what you think, but thought I'd ask anyway.  That seems to be the one major thing keeping me from trying it over the Asgard or M-Stage although both of those are also considered slightly on the warm side for SS amps.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 51
Quote:
I've been doing a similar search.  Be sure to check out the Matrix M-Stage.

Brooko, how do you feel about the treble rolloff mentioned on the NFB-12?  Obviously you like the amp, so I guess I already know what you think, but thought I'd ask anyway.  That seems to be the one major thing keeping me from trying it over the Asgard or M-Stage although both of those are also considered slightly on the warm side for SS amps.

The treble roll-off only seems to be there via USB - and I think that was fixed with the NFB-15.  I only use optical - and haven't experienced any treble roll-off myself.  Again I'll reiterate - for the price - the build quality and features are pretty hard to beat.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

The treble roll-off only seems to be there via USB - and I think that was fixed with the NFB-15.  I only use optical - and haven't experienced any treble roll-off myself.  Again I'll reiterate - for the price - the build quality and features are pretty hard to beat.

Interesting.  I only use USB, so...

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Thanks, I just put the M-Stage on the top of my list. Do you happen to know how I can identify the latest revision/version? I will buy used and don't want to end up with an older version.

That I don't know.  I'm leaning more towards the Asgard right now, so I haven't researched it TOO heavily.

That said, I don't see a TON of them popping up used (there are some from time to time), but the price reduction isn't so significant that it would sway me away from buying somegthing new. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 51
Are you talking about the Asgard? There like half a dozen of them in the For Sale section; that's more than any other amp that I've seen. They are all $30-50 off. I agree, the discount isn't that great but a few are pretty new (less than six months) so not too bad.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 51
Quote:
Are you talking about the Asgard? There like half a dozen of them in the For Sale section; that's more than any other amp that I've seen. They are all $30-50 off. I agree, the discount isn't that great but a few are pretty new (less than six months) so not too bad.

No, I was referring to the M-Stage.  I didn't state that very well...

My point was that if I went for the Matrix amp, then I'd probably just order it new.  It's only about $230 (shipping included) and it seems like when they pop up for sale in the used forums you only end up saving around $30.  I'd rather buy new and be sure that it was the latest version, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back