Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #5,372 of 7,916
Vivo Xplay6 looks good. ES9038 is a mystery, ESS haven't publicly released any mobile version of 9038 yet. its performance spec looks similar to mobile ES9028 through.

not sure whether it includes the Analog Volume Control (AVC) feature in ES9218 used by LG V20, AVC can be very helpful if implemented correctly.
without AVC, there are some serious difficulties in load matching. one ugly (yet very popular) solution is to add a series resistance (dozens of ohm) before final output...

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #5,373 of 7,916
The Smartisan M1l looks pretty good.

Granted, I'm a noob in relation to DACs.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #5,374 of 7,916

It seems like Letv follow civilization concept just like when pairing sony DAP with sony cans is the best sound matching. XD

tongue.gif
 for ordinary user who just use the stock headphone, the CDLA package is quite good.

that headphone is a good one in itself (a variant of EarPod) and the CDLA connection does helped improving channel separation a lot.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #5,375 of 7,916
Is it possible for smartphone with usb C connection to use this kind of cable?

http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=101

Im using meizu pro 5 and really curious with this cable to feed on my HM901S via coaxial spdif.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #5,377 of 7,916
I have an ulefone Vienna and a sansa clip+, but I'm not very good at describing sound. It sounds clearer and better than the clip.

I have also owned s7 edge exynos. Subjectively it sounded better and quite a bit more powerful.

I have also owned a HTC 10 which is better than the Vienna, but not much better.

The Vienna sounds great with my RE00.

The Vienna had a really good and loud internal speaker, although being at the back was a problem -it's close but I think better than HTC 10.

As phones both the 10 and S7e are better, but I week keep the Vienna until the next round of upgrades -it's good enough.

Really impressed for the £110 I paid.

Thanks for answer. I appreciate it. Can you try to describe sound just in few words? Does it sound warm (you know fun, with a lot of bass) or cold, analytical, with better separation, but with less bass, bright an not so "fun".
It's OK if you can't describe it. I'm not very good at describing sound as well. Well I'm not even very good at English :D

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #5,379 of 7,916
Thanks for answer. I appreciate it. Can you try to describe sound just in few words? Does it sound warm (you know fun, with a lot of bass) or cold, analytical, with better separation, but with less bass, bright an not so "fun".
It's OK if you can't describe it. I'm not very good at describing sound as well. Well I'm not even very good at English :D

I would say warm, but not as warm as HTC 10. It has an audio enhancer mode which sounds bad. It removes the warmth at the expense of sounding hollow.

It makes the hifiman re00 sound fun and slightly enhances the bass.

It also has good synergy with my Superlux 668b head phones. Drives them with more authority than even HTC 10. (This is my only set where it beat the HTC)

I don't want to over hype it, but I'm certainly happy for the money

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #5,380 of 7,916
  Umi Diamond is said to have a custom audiochip, I'm not able to find out which though.
http://www.umidigi.com/page-umi_diamond_specification.html

The only models of that company I know of that are claimed to have some kind of quality non-SoC audio are the super-max-plus trio.

And they also have a whole bunch of other issues as well, maybe you want to check a few pages back when some discussion took place along these lines.

Maybe their plus E model will actually work, we have to wait and see about that.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #5,381 of 7,916
  Umi Diamond is said to have a custom audiochip, I'm not able to find out which though.

"custom chip" is marketing language for "beta chip", IC vendors are testing variant models and they need guinea pigs.

if it goes well, it might be released as a public model.
if not, it get cancelled, no big deal.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #5,382 of 7,916
Found out that one of my coworkers recently got a Pixel so I arranged for a little time to check if the LeEco stock USB-C DACs will work with it. The answer is yes, confirming that CDLA is basically just USB 2.0 audio.

What we need is a list of USB-C hubs that have been confirmed to be able to USB host and charge at the same time, along with what phone(s) was used for the test.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #5,383 of 7,916
  Found out that one of my coworkers recently got a Pixel so I arranged for a little time to check if the LeEco stock USB-C DACs will work with it. The answer is yes, confirming that CDLA is basically just USB 2.0 audio.

What we need is a list of USB-C hubs that have been confirmed to be able to USB host and charge at the same time, along with what phone(s) was used for the test.

NiHao NiHao
biggrin.gif

Yes, CDLA basically is USB audio.
which peripheral do you mean by "stock USB-C DAC"?

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #5,384 of 7,916
@eoi 

Have you ever test LG V20, Could you compare it with x900 please. I still think whether I should buy as an upgrade or not...

I still weighing whether getting V20 or wait for DX200...

Thanks
Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back