Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #3,527 of 7,916
You can if it is MFi certified. Like the Centrance Dacport Slim or the Dacportable. There are other devices out there. If it isn't MFi basically you can use a Camera Connection Kit, a USB hub, battery, and DAC. Though that kind of pushes the limits of 'portable'. I prefer android though. My Nexus 6P has a pretty terrible headphone out and I use the DacPort slim with a USB C to OTG adapter that was $7 and just plug it in. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,528 of 7,916
what can you guys say about the sound quality of the sony z3 compact?

Can it drive the grado sr80e at reasonable volume levels? and can it also play flac?

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #3,529 of 7,916
Hello beautiful people of Head-Fi. I am in the market for a new phone, and as Im not ready to splash into the whole DAC/amp + DAP arrangement, I am looking for a new, great-sounding phone.

I am interested in/considering:
- ZTE Axon 7 (fairly good design, DACs, front-facing speakers. Bit unsure about the software)&
- (ZTE) Nubia Z11 (good-looking phone. Heard it has lossless playback. Not much else has been said as of now)
- Samsung S7 Edge (would be a direct upgrade for me. Would also be the ultimate phonee if it had stock android)
- ASUS Zenfone 3 Deluxe (its supposedly High Res Audio Certified. Also looks very interesting overall, has hit-potential.
- OnePlus 3 (mainly due to non-audio reasons. Not sure how it sounds)
- Xiaomi Mi5 (good price, I like the looks of the pro. Not really a fan of the software, but it looks decent. Heard a few good things, otherwise no idea how it sounds)

I'm not considering:
- LG G5 (dont like the software, the build and the battery life is not good. Also, the B&O module is hard to get in my part of the world)
- LeTv Max 2 (no headphone jack)
- Sony phones (dont like the feel of these. I just have no interest in purchasing them. Also, the newest lineup is disasterous)
- iPhones (due to pricing and hate of iOS)

There's also the HTC 10, which looks good, but phones like the S7 Edge seem to offer more for less (second-hand deals, impossible to find the HTC for a good price). I might be interested, heard hood things, just not sure where to put it.

Anyway, would love some input.

The Axon 7 has near stock android design. I am really digging it since newegg is giving a promotion on it.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #3,530 of 7,916
I have owned the LG G5, HTC 10, Samsung S7E (820), Sony Z5, and Nexus 6P. The Sony is OK for a phone. The Samsung and Google are laughable to me. I then purchased the LG G5 and the 10 and thought they were fantastic. Obviously the LG had the B&O module. I felt the G5 was more in tune with my listening preferences. There was more detail and less "noise" than the HTC. The HTC was more bassier I guess (and I'm a bass head). In the end I was about to sell my HTC but the fact that the G5 was a little longer and was hard to find a case for I hesitated. The HTC was more pocketable and after spending a lot of time tuning it (settled on neutron as the music player) I think they are about even. I haven't gotten rid of either one and my use for any given day depends on my mood, lol. I never tried the v10 as it's phone specs are a little dated and I am using it as a phone after all.

I know there are more recent phones I ave tried, just can't remember staying with others longer than the five I just mentioned.

I also own the Onkyo DP-X1 and the Sony ZX2 and would say both the HTC and LG G5 are comparable. If you asked me to do a blind test, I would fail miserably. I listen through a pair of Shure se846 IEMs.

Chet

Do you have the TRRS plug  and sound adjustment disabled(sony app menu) when using se846 with ZX2?I find it hard to believe  that these phones are comparable when taking full advantage of  ZX2 since not even mojo can compete especially in instrument separation,details and soundstage.I could be wrong of course since i haven't heard either of  phones.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #3,531 of 7,916
Can anyone recommend a good article comparing the sound quality of current smartphones?

Google isn't helping much, & neither is this 236-page thread, started in 2013, composed mainly of minutia concerning individual devices.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #3,532 of 7,916
  Can anyone recommend a good article comparing the sound quality of current smartphones?

Google isn't helping much, & neither is this 236-page thread, started in 2013, composed mainly of minutia concerning individual devices.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-audio-phone-2016-uk-whats-best-phone-for-music-lg-g5-htc-10-3633585/

Happy reading.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #3,535 of 7,916
Do you have the TRRS plug  and sound adjustment disabled(sony app menu) when using se846 with ZX2?I find it hard to believe  that these phones are comparable when taking full advantage of  ZX2 since not even mojo can compete especially in instrument separation,details and soundstage.I could be wrong of course since i haven't heard either of  phones.

I did have a TRRS cable and disabled sound enhancements. Didnt make much difference to me. With enhancements off I did get more volume. Everything else was subjective.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #3,536 of 7,916
I did have a TRRS cable and disabled sound enhancements. Didnt make much difference to me. With enhancements off I did get more volume. Everything else was subjective.

Not really but ok.We have the same equipment and used many times se846 with stock cable and changed to TRRS.The difference is not even funny and i'm not the only one 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/12075#post_12704487

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #3,538 of 7,916
Not really but ok.We have the same equipment and used many times se846 with stock cable and changed to TRRS.The difference is not even funny and i'm not the only one 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/12075#post_12704487

I guess we disagree...if there were measurements available that pointed to a difference, themn this would be a moot point. I. Notice plenty of listeners say it makes a difference. I notice plenty that say it doesnt. Since there's no objective way to determine it, no sense in arguing.

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3,539 of 7,916
I guess we disagree...if there were measurements available that pointed to a difference, themn this would be a moot point. I. Notice plenty of listeners say it makes a difference. I notice plenty that say it doesnt. Since there's no objective way to determine it, no sense in arguing.

The point is it is not subtle as long as the other 2 requirements are met.Burn in of over 200h hours for capacitors to settle in and you listened to se846 with either the white filter or modded blue (not the  stock blue filter with the foam inside and the veiled sound).If this is the case then yeah we disagree but this is not the thread.Cheers

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #3,540 of 7,916
Yeah, I've had my player well over 200 hours, I use the white filters. No change as far as I can tell. It sounds great single ended, sounds the same TRRS,d. Comparable to the B&O module and the HTC 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back