Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 7, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,081 of 5,168
Anybody has an opinion on the Samsung Galazy S20+?

My LG V10 has died, and i was looking for a replacement. Both of my first options seem difficult to find new (at least here in Italy), namely, the V30+ and the G8X ThinQ. I'm afraid of buying used or refurbished because of burn in or shortened battery life. Some US sellers ship in Italy but i'm afraid of custom fees (got slapped by an efty one when i orderered a Schiit amp from the US a few years ago, not sure i want to go through that again).

The Samsung Galazy S20+ has the advantage of having decent IEMs out of the box, which will save me from having to buy a new pair (since mine broke as well), and i can also bind the phone on my monthly Vodafone bill so i don't have to pay it all upfront. The only question is whether the internal DAC is as good as any of those LG phones. I mean i used to be able to drive my Sennheiser HD600 with my V10 without external amp. I thought that was pretty damn good. Not sure if i can do the same with the Sony.
S20+ won't have power to drive HD600. They're using qualcomm's Aqstic DAC and honestly are on par with Sony. Both apps are using software optimisation to tune SQ as opposed to unlocking full potential of hardware.

For casual listening, the audio output is just fine IMO.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #4,082 of 5,168
I think i'll pass then.

May have to take a chance on a used V20 or V30. Or maybe i should just get a dedicated DAP and forget trying to get a phone. I'm checking the doc in the first page of this thread and so far most of those phones appear to hard to find new if they can be found at all. Wish i was in the US so i could get a G8X. I checked what the fee is to get one imported in italy and it is 75 dollars, and there's the shipping on top of that. Forget that, heh.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #4,083 of 5,168
I think i'll pass then.

May have to take a chance on a used V20 or V30. Or maybe i should just get a dedicated DAP and forget trying to get a phone. I'm checking the doc in the first page of this thread and so far most of those phones appear to hard to find new if they can be found at all. Wish i was in the US so i could get a G8X. I checked what the fee is to get one imported in italy and it is 75 dollars, and there's the shipping on top of that. Forget that, heh.
That's why i now would recommend a "universal" dac/amp like the FiiO BTR5.
You'll have the opportunity to connect via bluetooth or USB to whatever source you want and the sound remains the same. :wink:
With the 2.5mm it's on par with the V30, imo.
Only caveat is the rather short battery life compared to the V30 while playing music.
But i like the convenience to connect it to my Surface Pro (bluetooth or USB) or the V30 via bluetooth.
Charging from zero to 100% is quite short too.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #4,084 of 5,168
That seems interesting. Battery life being shorter than the V30 while playing is not an issue since i used my V10 as a phone as much as a music player and that thing barely lasted a day and i assume the V30 isn't much better considering the batter is pretty much the same.

So with that thing i could use my current crappy Samsung A10 (or any other i phone i may end up getting) as a source and audio would be comparible with the V30?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #4,085 of 5,168
Yes.
BTR5 has a bit more power to spare, but SQ (from 2.5mm) will be the same, from my testing. :)
(Always with limitations of bluetooth in mind)
Connected via USB, there's no difference.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #4,086 of 5,168
Anybody has an opinion on the Samsung Galazy S20+?

My LG V10 has died, and i was looking for a replacement. Both of my first options seem difficult to find new (at least here in Italy), namely, the V30+ and the G8X ThinQ. I'm afraid of buying used or refurbished because of burn in or shortened battery life. Some US sellers ship in Italy but i'm afraid of custom fees (got slapped by an efty one when i orderered a Schiit amp from the US a few years ago, not sure i want to go through that again).

The Samsung Galazy S20+ has the advantage of having decent IEMs out of the box, which will save me from having to buy a new pair (since mine broke as well), and i can also bind the phone on my monthly Vodafone bill so i don't have to pay it all upfront. The only question is whether the internal DAC is as good as any of those LG phones. I mean i used to be able to drive my Sennheiser HD600 with my V10 without external amp. I thought that was pretty damn good. Not sure if i can do the same with the Sony.
galaxy s20 plus doesn't have headphone jack and so doesnt matter what dac it has as it will be used only by the speaker. may be you are referring to usb c headphones in the box, which ideally have inferior DACs

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #4,088 of 5,168
Yes.
BTR5 has a bit more power to spare, but SQ (from 2.5mm) will be the same, from my testing. :)
(Always with limitations of bluetooth in mind)
Connected via USB, there's no difference.

I'm a little confused here. Why 2.5mm? What's the difference with the 3.5mm output?

Also, how do you feed the audio through USB while using a phone or a PC?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #4,089 of 5,168
Well, the BTR5 is known for a little better sound quality out of the 2.5mm output, but it depends on the headphone wether it has a greater impact or not. :wink:
I don't know why FiiO has decided to go this way, bc usually it's the other way around.

I just use a amazon basic Usb-C to Usb-C cable to connect the BTR5 to my smartphone.
It works best with the app USB Audio player pro (UAPP).
For PC, just plug it in and you're good to go, ime.
Sometimes (mostly) you've to install the FiiO drivers (not at Mac).

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #4,090 of 5,168
Since this morning I am enjoying iPhone with Hi-res lossless Apple music.
Amazing stuff.

Attachments

• 3F24A11A-9147-4B52-A8FA-C640E8F7B43E.png
    3F24A11A-9147-4B52-A8FA-C640E8F7B43E.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • CED6468F-7B59-40A7-8EB3-05E853FDBAC4.png
    CED6468F-7B59-40A7-8EB3-05E853FDBAC4.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #4,091 of 5,168
Since this morning I am enjoying iPhone with Hi-res lossless Apple music.
Amazing stuff.
Hopefully that Hi-Res is transferred to the headphone directly.
Not that mess up thing like on Android, where all is routed through the android mixer and in fact is sampled to 16bit/ 48kHz. :) (w/o using uapp or neutron etc.)

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #4,092 of 5,168
Hopefully that Hi-Res is transferred to the headphone directly.
Not that mess up thing like on Android, where all is routed through the android mixer and in fact is sampled to 16bit/ 48kHz. :) (w/o using uapp or neutron etc.)
I think Apple did it better then Android even MQA bit perfect was better implemented on IOS.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,093 of 5,168
Well, the BTR5 is known for a little better sound quality out of the 2.5mm output, but it depends on the headphone wether it has a greater impact or not. :wink:
I don't know why FiiO has decided to go this way, bc usually it's the other way around.

I just use a amazon basic Usb-C to Usb-C cable to connect the BTR5 to my smartphone.
It works best with the app USB Audio player pro (UAPP).
For PC, just plug it in and you're good to go, ime.
Sometimes (mostly) you've to install the FiiO drivers (not at Mac).

Is there any budget IEMs that would fit this device? I'm thinking in the 100-150 euros range.

Guess i could buy an adapter so i can use the 2.5mm output. Still odd that it makes a difference.

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #4,094 of 5,168
Is there any budget IEMs that would fit this device? I'm thinking in the 100-150 euros range.

Guess i could buy an adapter so i can use the 2.5mm output. Still odd that it makes a difference.
You cannot buy 3.5 female to 2.5 mm male adapter. It will ruin the stuff.

You need to understand balanced vs single end first.

Buy the iem that can change cable or have an 2.5 mm option to choose.

Such as shure 215 would be good starter.

Or ve bie pro also good performance in half of your budget. So you can buy bluetooth dac/amp or usb c dac amp

US $69.80 | Venture Electronics VE BIE pro in ear Earphones HIFI
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK2GNUV

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #4,095 of 5,168
No new updates?
Gold era of audiophile smartphone is end imo.

I will just buy usb c dac/amp. There are many audio manufacturer coming to play. And technology proofs in this era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back