Best smart phone with AT&T?
Oct 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 39
^ Yeah, it's the main reason why I went to prepaid. Don't talk/text much, but like having the functionality of a smartphone. 

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #17 of 39

Well, check Ebay and you will find same phones as yours, all new and cheap.

I guess its very personal and I still use couple of years old Samsung as well. Thing is, if you dont need one, iPhone or else I mean, just leave it, cos I better spend some cash on tubes or music instead.

Well, that sucks. I'm still using a 5 year old Samsung Blackjack 1 because there aren't really any decent phones to upgrade to, as I don't require a data plan. And I really don't wish to have to downgrade to a crappier phone just to avoid the data plan costs.

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 39
Well, I've been reading up on the Captivate reviews, and it's looking mighty tempting now.

Here's my justification: I was looking to spend around $150 on a GPS for my car, and from what I understand the Captivate has GPS as well. Which got me thinking that I can get the phone instead of the standalone GPS unit.

So my question to those of you who already own a Captivate is, how good is the GPS functionality? Is it as reliable, accurate and quickly processing of wrong turns as, say, a $150 Garmin? Or is the GPS on the phone more of a gimmick? I need the GPS on the phone to show the map real time, show street names, give me turn-by-turn directions and read out street names as well. Not to mention be able to quickly process missed turns on the fly like an actual GPS unit would.

So, would the Samsung Captivate suffice?

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #19 of 39
The Captivate uses the standard Google Navigation that's a part of the Google Maps application. Routing, recalculating, etc. is all done on the server side so it's quite fast. It reads out road names, the entire description of exits (ex: I-XX towards someplace), and can even overlay your route on Street View if you have bandwidth to burn. Here's a nice overview.

It's my opinion that Google Navigation is superior to any standalone GPS I've used.

Edit: If you're wondering how it will perform if your phone loses the cell connection, it works pretty well. The phone caches the entire route and is able to continue giving directions as long as it doesn't need to recalculate. Before I had a data plan on my N1 I would start navigation at a location with WiFi and it would take me all the way to my destination.

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 39
Thanks for the info, I'll read up more on Google Navigation.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #21 of 39
Google maps is not nearly as good on the iphone as in their own phones.  They clearly cripple the iphone on purpose to give them an edge there.  Can't blame them I guess, but it's kind of annoying knowing that it could be much better.  There's other map apps though which I haven't tried.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #23 of 39

Quote:
Well, I've been reading up on the Captivate reviews, and it's looking mighty tempting now.

Here's my justification: I was looking to spend around $150 on a GPS for my car, and from what I understand the Captivate has GPS as well. Which got me thinking that I can get the phone instead of the standalone GPS unit.

So my question to those of you who already own a Captivate is, how good is the GPS functionality? Is it as reliable, accurate and quickly processing of wrong turns as, say, a $150 Garmin? Or is the GPS on the phone more of a gimmick? I need the GPS on the phone to show the map real time, show street names, give me turn-by-turn directions and read out street names as well. Not to mention be able to quickly process missed turns on the fly like an actual GPS unit would.

So, would the Samsung Captivate suffice?

Be careful with the Captivate (possibly any Galaxy S phone). While I'm keeping mine and agree that google maps is better than apple's offering. They have had GPS issues. Mine is almost completely innefective. I've tried a couple of fixes to no evail. I am going to see if they will replace it or tell me to wait for a fix. I'll report back what they say, but I would be careful buying this unit for GPS until there is a fix (it's a software issue in the US not a hardware issue). 

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:
Be careful with the Captivate (possibly any Galaxy S phone). While I'm keeping mine and agree that google maps is better than apple's offering. They have had GPS issues. Mine is almost completely innefective. I've tried a couple of fixes to no evail. I am going to see if they will replace it or tell me to wait for a fix. I'll report back what they say, but I would be careful buying this unit for GPS until there is a fix (it's a software issue in the US not a hardware issue). 

I thought this was fixed?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/22/samsung-captivate-gets-gps-fix-other-galaxy-s-versions-wait-pat/

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #25 of 39
Netflix on iPhone 4 is really good. Easily my favorite app.  Just announced for Windows, but still nothing for Android. (Probably just a matter of weeks/months though...)

Not having flash is a drag, although most flash is pretty lame considering the resources, so it's not that hard to overlook.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #26 of 39
I've been on AT&T for a few years now, and have been looking to upgrade to a smart phone. The Captivate looks interesting, especially since I'm working on a development project now with Android phones. I'll definitely take a look at this one soon.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #27 of 39
Nov 4, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #28 of 39
I love my iPhone 4, and I highly recommend it. That being said, this IS and audiophile forum and the iPhone puts out some of the dirtiest, noisiest sound of any phone/MP3 player I have ever heard.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #29 of 39

Quote:
I love my iPhone 4, and I highly recommend it. That being said, this IS and audiophile forum and the iPhone puts out some of the dirtiest, noisiest sound of any phone/MP3 player I have ever heard.

Riiiiggghhhhhtttt.  That's why a lot of people say it is one of the best sounding phones. 

As far as flash goes, yes it is too bad when you're looking at a list of features and comparing.  But I've heard from many people that the phones that do read flash can't handle it, and it looks really bad.  Keep in mind, there is a reason they decided not to support flash.  Even if it's not apparent.  They weren't just trying to have less features or something.  That's not typically something a company does when they are trying to make and sell a nice device.  One plus so far is that it's pushing technology on to better formats.  All the sites that now don't use flash because of iphone look that much better on everyone else's phone too. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #30 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back