Best rock phone goes to Grado SR-325
Apr 6, 2003 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
before i start, i would like to point out this isnt a review but my attempt to spread the word on a terrific phone that gets a bad rap..
and i have terrible english, it never flows properly. so please excuse that as well
rolleyes.gif

The Grado SR-325 hardly ever gets a mention and when it does, its often referred to as the epitome for the infamous gratos sound.
That's rather unfortunate, as IMHO the SR-325 is the best rocking phone i have ever had the pleasure to come across!

The associated gears are ART DIO, Corda HA-2 and the Grado SR-325 with a cut-out sennheiser pad.

Record genre choosen as example:
1. Soundgarden, Badmotorfinger
2. Rollins Band, The end of silence
3. Foo Fighters, There is nothing left to lose
4. Tool, Aenima

So what makes the SR-325 such a great rock phone?

well, the first thing you'll notice is that the SR325 has a heavy mid-bass, its very thick, like the bass guitars you found at a rock concert. The bass goes way deep, its lingering, powerful and most of all, head-banging good. It is very accurate in its overall presentation too and notes are always delivered with excellent timing, speed and instrumental separation.

It's an aggressive phone. In fact i have yet to hear any other phone that can match its aggressiveness. It's in no way neutral, and unlike other much more balanced and neutral phones, like the SR-225. The SR-325 is aggressive with well-extended ranges and it's coloured, heavily so but in a very good rockin way.

While the bass goes down real deep, the highs are equally well extended too. It will let you hear extreme details and notice all the cling and clangs of the instrumentals. It also has excellent tonal control and vocal presentation. With rock, vocals can be absolutely amazing. You can really hear Henry Rollins bursting blood vessels, its that good!

It is very musical, not at all analytical but yet extremely detailed. Although it is warm sounding, its never slow (as some times expected from warm sounding systems). In fact, the greatest asset and the reason why I believe the SR325 is such a great rock phone is because of its aggressive speed. Perhaps it's the same aggressive nature that makes it a great rock phone that also makes it so unbearable, for some. After all, rock is an assault on the senses. It’s never meant to be pleasant and frilly!

and finally, besides sounding great with rock they are equally adept with jazz!

that's what i think anyway,
smily_headphones1.gif
Taoster

Apr 6, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 21
I agree 100%.I have owned many cans the last years(inc DT931,HD600,CD3000) but the Grados have some kind of magical synergy with rock-especially the 325.I go to rock concerts often and …yes my 325 are much closer to the “live feeling” than any other phone I ve heard.Some say they are bright-If you find them bright try them with a RA-1
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW Tool+325 is a great combination
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 21
The MDR-V6 sound like someone tried to throw a rock concert in a closet, or a bathroom. The soundstage of the Grados are huge comparitively. The bass is not as deep as V6's, but it's much cleaner.

I prefer my V6's for electronica/techno, where there isn't much soundstage to begin with - so you're not missing much. When it comes to rock or guitar oriented music, it's Grado all the way.

Apr 6, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 21
I had the 325 before, and they will blow the V6 away.

The bass is more neutral, and with a much wider--nicer soundstage.

Apr 7, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been thinking about the 225s and 325s for a while now... I really want one of these. Can someone buy either one for me?
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
taoster and mecano,

so, which do you prefer, TOOL + sr225
or TOOL + sr325?

smily_headphones1.gif

Ive only had the chance to hear the sr225 briefly. It was very blaanced sounding and more neutral. The sr325 with its emphasised mids and extension is a much better rock phone for my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 21
I have heard all the Grados with the RA-1, and the SR-325 is also my favorite of the bunch. If I pick up the impedancer from Meier Audio I might try this phone with the RKV, and see how it matches up. Who knows, maybe this could be the next big flavor of the month headphone on Head-Fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
Ive only had the chance to hear the sr225 briefly. It was very blaanced sounding and more neutral. The sr325 with its emphasised mids and extension is a much better rock phone for my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

from what you say i think i would prefer the sr325 as well. maybe not as a phone to listen to everything, but a phone for those times when i want my feet tapping, my hands moving around(a sad sad imitation of danny carey), head bobbing, and ears bleeding!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 21
Woo hoo!

This is exactly what I want to hear as I just won an Ebay auction for the SR-325s and should get them by Friday.
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 21
taoster,

You mentioned that your English isn't very good? Quite the contrary! Your desciption of the 325's is very vivid and well put. Hell, it makes me want to go out and get a pair for my hard and classic rock listening. And judging from what you say about the extended frequencies, I think the 325's would be my type headphone...only for certain kinds of music though. I enjoyed reading your mini review
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 21
<<taoster and mecano,

so, which do you prefer, TOOL + sr225
or TOOL + sr325?>>

The 225 are nice phones-smaller and lighter than the 325-but they don t have the powerful bass slam and the authoritative sound the 325 have.So I definitely prefer the “Tool+325”combo.If someone finds the 325 too colored but loves the solid dynamic sound consider the MS-2 the pro version of 325.And Mike:I had the Senn HE-60 electrostatics and although I found them impressive-fast clean and airy-the Grados are much closer to the “live feeling” of a rock band.The 325 next to the electrostatics were like...leather next to satin
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back