Best Replacement Cable for K1000's?
Jan 4, 2004 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, its past time that I upgrade the cable on my K1000's. I had originally planned to buy a used Equinox, but the deal fell through, so plan B was to order one from Stefan Audio Art, but some recent comments here have me wondering. I know that some of you have gotten other cables than that, or even made your own.
I would really appreciate hearing from those of you who own the K1000's and what you have found to be the best replacement cable........along with comments on what you've done comparisons with. As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JC

Jan 4, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 19
I had the Equinox with my K1000, and I had also made some cable(TaraLabs Bi-Wire, Canare 4S11) for it too. I found the difference in sound is pretty small, I ended up sold my Equinox and settled with my DIY cable.
The Equinox is nice. If you don't want to bother and have the money, go for it and you will be happy. Otherwise experience with different cable is fun too. Some cable like Canare, ProCo, TaraLabs are all good, they are all a huge improvment from the stock cable.

Jan 4, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 19
I have one made from Kimber Kable and a switchcraft 1/4" plug.
And also the Stephan AudioArts cable.

Stephan Audioarts one seems to roll off the highs a little bit. The sound difference is pretty subtle, I'll have to check again when I get back home tonight.

Orpheus made some nice "signature" cables of his own as well. I'm going to compare that one too.

I have been using 1/4" cables with a Grace 901.

If I end up liking the SAC amp better, then I really won't have need for a replacement cable anymore.

-Ed

Jan 5, 2004 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 19
Do a search for some impressions I made on a aeberbach-made cable that was given to me. I compared the cable to the stock AKG extension.

Jan 6, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by MoLtoSoLo
I had the Equinox with my K1000, and I had also made some cable(TaraLabs Bi-Wire, Canare 4S11) for it too. I found the difference in sound is pretty small, I ended up sold my Equinox and settled with my DIY cable.
The Equinox is nice. If you don't want to bother and have the money, go for it and you will be happy. Otherwise experience with different cable is fun too. Some cable like Canare, ProCo, TaraLabs are all good, they are all a huge improvment from the stock cable.

MoltoSolo,

Can you give me some more info on how one would go about building one of these? Do you use speaker cable from these manufacturers, or? Etc., etc, etc. Thanks

JC

Jan 7, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 19
Hi
Those are speaker cables. I think any decent cable will be great. I thought about using CAT5s to build one, but just got lazy.
It all depends on your budget. If you don't want to spend to much, Canare or Proco are both very nice. The Taralabs is a bit more expensive($35 for 10ft), but not too bad.

http://www.markertek.com/
Markertek is a very good source. They got all the connector, solder, and cables(Canare and Proco) you need.

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/
Takefive seems pretty good too, the Beldon 1585A CAT5 and 89259 are both very popular DIY cables.

http://www.homegrownaudio.com/
Homegrown got some expensive silver braids.

If you got more question, please feel free to send me a PM or something.
Good luck, it's fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
Do a search for some impressions I made on a aeberbach-made cable that was given to me. I compared the cable to the stock AKG extension.

I really admire the DIY folk. But FTROU (for the rest of us) I like the :

http://stefanaudioart.com/K1000Cable.html

I saw a huge improvement over the stock cables. I just wish I got a longer cable, but it sure is worth shoving my chair closer to the amplifier
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Jazz1
I really admire the DIY folk. But FTROU (for the rest of us) I like the :

http://stefanaudioart.com/K1000Cable.html

I saw a huge improvement over the stock cables. I just wish I got a longer cable, but it sure is worth shoving my chair closer to the amplifier
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the comments. I noted the big improvement when listening to this cable, after it was added to Elrod Tom's K1000 system, at a Head-Fi meet. I had been planning on taking the same route myself, but knew that a number of other Head-Fi'ers had been experimenting and wanted to get their thoughts on what they found to be best.

JC

Jan 12, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
I think the Stefan Audio Art cable is quite expensive for what you get. I went the DIY route.

I agree its quite expensive, but how hard is it to go DIY? What equipment do you need exactly, and does it make sense for just one cable? I'm totally out of my depth in that area, have no idea what to do.

JC

Jan 12, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
I agree its quite expensive, but how hard is it to go DIY? What equipment do you need exactly, and does it make sense for just one cable? I'm totally out of my depth in that area, have no idea what to do.

This thread might give you an idea on what's involved in a general way.... Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back