Best recorded albums of all time?
May 17, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #287 of 464
  Don't know if anyone has mentioned this:

the 2011 remaster of:

smashing pumpkins-siamese dream

insanely good studio work.

Butch Vig FTW.

Yep, very good recording indeed especially considering the genre. Even has a 9 Dynamic Range rating, which is not bad at all for a modern rock studio recording.

About Butch Vig recordings, I still listen to Nirvana's Nevermind fully about once a week, 24 years after its original release. It is, to me, an outstanding piece of artistic and technical studio mastery. Both the band and producer so inspired. Has a DR rating of 12 too, for those interested. (It's not as if dynamic range measurements told the whole story, but still...)

May 18, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #289 of 464
Jazz at the Pawnshop

Artists: Arne Domnérus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Erstrand, Georg Riedel, Egil Johansen

Just bought it in 24/192.  I cannot stop listening to it; especially the opening track, Limehouse Blues.  

Now, I'm a rock/pop/trance/dance/edm guy.  Rarely dipping his toes into classical and jazz.  And I never, imagined I'd be so nutz over a recording w/ sax, clarinet, piano, vibes, bass & drums..  But the music and moreso the recording is just. that. good. period.

Now someone tell me many other masterpieces like this in the world that I did not know about.  Please. 

May 18, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #291 of 464
Yes HDTracks. Been or a tear spending many many dollars on HD material lately Since getting my McIntosh MHA100. MAN ALIVE does this thing sound good with pretty much everything, but especially HD material!

May 18, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #292 of 464
May 18, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #293 of 464
Time Out is the best for detail and dynamic range, the Mofi cd of Folk Singer is not far behind, these and 50s jazz are the best because of the simple recording techniques used and no fuzzing about with compression and limiters.

May 18, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #294 of 464
  Jazz at the Pawnshop

Artists: Arne Domnérus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Erstrand, Georg Riedel, Egil Johansen

Just bought it in 24/192.  I cannot stop listening to it; especially the opening track, Limehouse Blues.  

Now, I'm a rock/pop/trance/dance/edm guy.  Rarely dipping his toes into classical and jazz.  And I never, imagined I'd be so nutz over a recording w/ sax, clarinet, piano, vibes, bass & drums..  But the music and moreso the recording is just. that. good. period.

Now someone tell me many other masterpieces like this in the world that I did not know about.  Please. 

True that. Just checked it out on Qobuz, I recommend it. On top of the *excellent* recording, it's also very accessible yet not leaning toward the pop side of things at all. I'm more of a rock, blues, folk, country, metal and pop guy myself but this is for once what I call connoisseur jazz that I can actually enjoy too.

May 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #295 of 464
May 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #296 of 464

Yep, very good recording indeed especially considering the genre. Even has a 9 Dynamic Range rating, which is not bad at all for a modern rock studio recording.

About Butch Vig recordings, I still listen to Nirvana's Nevermind fully about once a week, 24 years after its original release. It is, to me, an outstanding piece of artistic and technical studio mastery. Both the band and producer so inspired. Has a DR rating of 12 too, for those interested. (It's not as if dynamic range measurements told the whole story, but still...)

I kind of don't understand DR relative to recording quality to be honest..

For example, even a horribly recorded Mahler symphony will always have a higher DR than the best recording of let's say the Smashing Pumpkins because of the DR of the music itself..

May 18, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #297 of 464

Btw, I checked the site that u provided and the 2011 remaster of siamese dream has a max DR of 14...

May 18, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #298 of 464

I kind of don't understand DR relative to recording quality to be honest..

For example, even a horribly recorded Mahler symphony will always have a higher DR than the best recording of let's say the Smashing Pumpkins because of the DR of the music itself..

I agree, that's why I said that I found it good especially for that music genre
wink_face.gif

I also happen to listen once in a while to stuff that has a rating of 3, like popular electro bass pumping clubbing stuff... but I accept it, it goes with the genre. Wouldn't it sound better with a better dynamic range? Yeah, probably, but I don't really care, it's just fun music.
DR measurement is only indicative that the mastering process has or has not tried to squash the volume to max limits using brickwall compressing and limiting. It doesn't tell anything else. The advantage it has, is that it is a measurable thing so it puts a least a little bit of objectivity in this hobby, which badly needs it IMHO but that's another topic !
Anyway a rock recording with a rating of 4 for instance, I might tend to shy away from it.

Btw, I checked the site that u provided and the 2011 remaster of siamese dream has a max DR of 14...

My measurements gave it an average DR of 9, and max of 11 (on the track "Sweet sweet").
Ratings on that site are given by users, some may have made a mistake, or maybe there are several "2011" re-releases depending on intended country of sale. There can be so many different releases of the same album, it can be hard to know which exact vintage you've got with regards to the mixing and mastering process. Still, I already liked the original 1993 release
wink_face.gif

May 18, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #299 of 464
May 18, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #300 of 464

Users who are viewing this thread

Back