Best prog rock/metal/related album of 2011 so far (multiple choice)
Oct 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 23
This is clearly a prog metal-influenced list, but I'd nevertheless say that my favorite 2011 albums in the very wide scope of progressive, rock and metal are Yes, Fly From Here and Black Country Communion 2.

From your poll, the Wilson, Mastodon, Dream Theater and Opeth are all on their way to my door as we speak (all but Mastodon on vinyl, too!), and I'm hopeful that one of them (most likely Opeth) ends up at the top of my 2011 list. I'm also looking forward to Derek Sherinian's new album, though like his other releases it looks to be more of a collection of singles than a true "album."

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 23
So I take it you like Heritage, JMP? It's being savaged pretty badly at Amazon, which is usually meaningless, but the level of vitriol in the reviews is really something.

With any luck, my LP will be here on Monday.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 23
It's too early to tell, haven't spend enough time with some recent releases, but it's probably between Road Salt II, Heritage and Snowtorch, the last one would get my vote if I had to chose now.

The new Dream Theater is again worthless to me (as all of their albums after 6 Degrees), Sym X and Steven Wilson are interesting but didn't really grow on me yet.

I was really looking forward to Testimony 2, but I think it was a letdown. Just like Dream Theater, Neal keeps on doing the same trics over and over again and these tricks simply went over my individual expiration date.

Other bands with new cd's, maybe worth to mention: Pallas, Magnum, Pendragon, Evergrey, Blackfield, Wolverine.

Lover's End by Moon Safari was released a couple of weeks before 2011, otherwise it would be very simple; I rate that album being one of the best prog.albums ever.

I think Rush is coming with a new album? Let's hope that one will be the album of the year, we've had a lot of releases so far, but too many were dissapointing and mediocre at best

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
It's too early to tell, haven't spend enough time with some recent releases, but it's probably between Road Salt II, Heritage and Snowtorch, the last one would get my vote if I had to chose now.

The new Dream Theater is again worthless to me (as all of their albums after 6 Degrees), Sym X and Steven Wilson are interesting but didn't really grow on me yet.

I was really looking forward to Testimony 2, but I think it was a letdown. Just like Dream Theater, Neal keeps on doing the same trics over and over again and these tricks simply went over my individual expiration date.

Other bands with new cd's, maybe worth to mention: Pallas, Magnum, Pendragon, Evergrey, Blackfield, Wolverine.

Lover's End by Moon Safari was released a couple of weeks before 2011, otherwise it would be very simple; I rate that album being one of the best prog.albums ever.

I think Rush is coming with a new album? Let's hope that one will be the album of the year, we've had a lot of releases so far, but too many were dissapointing and mediocre at best

totally agree.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 23
My 2 LP set of Heritage arrived Saturday, and I've found time to spin it twice since then. It's definitely in contention for my favorite album of 2011, and easily my preferred album from the Opeth catalog. I'm not a death metal guy, so take that last comment with a grain of salt.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 23
^ you forgot to vote 
biggrin.gif
. do you also have the digital version? Id like how the sound compare to the vinyl version.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
^ you forgot to vote 
biggrin.gif
. do you also have the digital version? Id like how the sound compare to the vinyl version.

Yup... I'm going to hold off on voting until the Steven Wilson and Mastadon arrive, and I find time to listen to Dream Theater.

I can only compare the vinyl to an (ahem) illicit digital version obtained from the netherwebs. I think the vinyl sounds quite nice, but the digital isn't bad either, with good dynamics and not overly loud.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 23
Definitely Devin Townsend. Deconstruction was amazing.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 23
Heritage has so far been a disappointment. Maybe it will grown on me as I listen to it more though thus far this has not been the case. The Hunter is excellent as is A Dreamatic Turn of Events and Iconoclast, but Townsend it is. The man never disappoints. Great year for metal thus far!

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 23
Earth - Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light I
Ghost Brigade - Until Fear No Longer Defines Us
Mastodon - The Hunter
Pain Of Salvation - Road Salt Two
Phideaux - Snowtorch
Scale The Summit - Collective

All very good.

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 23
I sense a lack of some notable metal releases in the poll options, like:

Anthrax - Worship Music
August Burns Red - Leveler
Machine Head - Unto the Locust
Revocation - Chaos of Forms
Sepultura - Kairos
The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
Trivium - In Waves
Unearth - Darkness in the Light

Also, new Iced Earth, Megadeth, & Redemption releases coming soon as well....

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
I sense a lack of some notable metal releases in the poll options, like:Anthrax - Worship MusicAugust Burns Red - LevelerMachine Head - Unto the LocustRevocation - Chaos of FormsSepultura - KairosThe Black Dahlia Murder - RitualTrivium - In WavesUnearth - Darkness in the LightAlso, new Iced Earth, Megadeth, & Redemption releases coming soon as well....

Key word

PROGRESSIVE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back