Best Possible Gaming Headphones.
Feb 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BoneCollector

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones strictly for gaming.

Requirements are good sound stage, best positional audio, and bass would help but not a priority (mainly after listening to enemy footsteps).

Dont really have a budget as im looking for the best possible set of phones.

Thx.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 10
Maybe the MA900. Build isn't that great (considering it's the successor to the MDR-F1 which are said to be the baby K1000), but it's been said to do very well in sound stage and accuracy. Also can be used for music (since it was meant for it in the first place).

Are you sure you don't have a budget? HD800 also comes to mind... although I'm not 100% sure on it. I remember seeing on threads saying that people have used it for gaming. In terms of music. positioning and sound stage  are what these 2 can do. Bass... well I think the later serial numbers have better bass, but that's what I've seen.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 10
In my admittedly limited experience, it's Stax (Lambda series for sure, though I would expect the Omega series to be no slouch) or the HiFiMan HE-400.

If your budget really is unlimited...Stax SR-009 + Blue Hawaii SE + Smyth Realiser A8. Sorry about your wallet.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 10
heh just before i ring the bank manager
smile.gif

How much of an improvement would suggested ones be over the samson sr850? or ad700 from gaming viewpoint, not only nice sound effects but enemy detection, sound stage etc

I cant assume heavy price tags means better quality or i'd end up buying dr dre beats.

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
smile.gif

How much of an improvement would suggested ones be over the samson sr850? or ad700 from gaming viewpoint, not only nice sound effects but enemy detection, sound stage etc

I cant assume heavy price tags means better quality or i'd end up buying dr dre beats.

good god. not beats. Well, a higher tag doesn't always mean better.

Different headphones cater for different people in the case of audiophiles. HD800 isn't necessarily better than... say an LCD-3/2 and vis-versa. It's dependent on taste.

As for the sr850 vs ad700, might want to try making a new thread for that.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
smile.gif

For competitive gaming purposes, certain headphones may be more revealing of subtle audio details that others may totally smooth over...though I'd still say it's hard to get much of an upgrade over the AD700 for competitive FPS gaming specifically. While my vintage Stax Lambda beats the AD700 at everything, it's also a much more expensive headphone (especially with the prices they fetch on eBay these days), and one I mainly kept because it excels at music reproduction while also being a very competent gaming headphone.

But if you want some actual bass presence for a more cinematic experience, or something that actually sounds even more clear and vast than the AD700 does, you have many options for a headphone upgrade. Whether it's worth paying twice as much or even more for the headphone itself (not including any needed amplifiers) is another question entirely.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Been lurking on these forums for awhile and have got some really good info off guides like the one Mr. Violin posted. Came from some $15 plantronics headset to hd555s w/foam mod > dt880 > akg k701s. Gaming wise the akg is by far the best I have used, can't tell you how many times I've been saved in bf3 because of the great positional on them. I remember my 555s being excellent as well but I sold them to a friend so I can't really compare. I wasn't really a big fan of my dt880s, enjoy them much more for movies and music than gaming.

I'm using an auzentech forte with cmss-3d to drive them. It has ahead phone amp built-in thats drives them ok, but was thinking about throwing my little fiio e17 in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back