Best portables for an HD 650 lover?
Jun 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

My 'reference' for good headphones are my HD650s with a music streamer ii+ and a Fii0 E9 amp (not amazing, but the best I've ever heard).  I'm looking at the Senn HD-25-1-ii, the DT 1350, and the Vmoda M-80s as good, closed, headphones mostly for the gym.

I'd go with IEMs, but I've realized that I hate IEMs.

So I guess I'm looking for someone with more experience to help me decide which of these portables would best suit my favored sound.  My only issues with the HD650s is that, yeah, there's a little scooped off the treble and it 'de-energizes' some of the music that I find 'trashier' and just more powerful at the gym.  At the same time, I don't want my ears to bleed from the treble.  For a reference, I find Grado's much better for energetic rock, but also VERY, VERY fatiguing.  I don't have much experience with other brands except the UE10s - and I find them generally disappointing.

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 15
No IEMs?!?! You're missing out! Haha jokes, I know IEMs don't match well with some people. The Senn HD-25s are very energetic and "in your face" kind of sound (V-shape). Vmodas have much more rounded off treble and a bit of a bass and mids emphasis. The Beyer DTs, I don't remember much because it was a while ago when I tried it, but you can find a lot of good reviews and thoughts about them. Either way, they are all great headphones.

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 15
I haven't heard the HD650 but have owned the HD600. I think from all the comparisons I've read, you're best to go for the M80. I've owned all three and think the M80 would be most like the sound signature of the HD650. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 15
I think IEMs are actually the best sounding type of portable headphones overall. If you like HD650, I recommend giving Hifiman RE262 or Shure SE425 or 535 try - I think they sound fairly similar to HD650, especially in regards to treble which is similarly recessed and soft, but with excellent quality and good extension. The mids on the Shures and Hifimans are also reminiscent of HD650 mids - they are full, lush and sweet sounding, while remaining quite neutral. If you want something with sweet, full bass and mids and a bit more treble than what HD650 and aforementioned IEMs offer, then Ortofon e-Q5 or e-Q7 may be good options as well. Hifiman RE272 may also work for you, although the bass may seem too light coming from HD650.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't like IEMs because they NEVER fit right.  I've tried changing tips, etc.  Plus the dangly wires are hard to pack up without tangling.  I just don't like them.  I tried to like them.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 15
Personally I was going to suggest the Shure SE425, smooth in the mids, neutral in the bass, recessed in the treble. Bring out gobs of detail. And very good at isolation. I use mine with comply tips, pretty good fit.
But you're using it for gym, do you think headphones are a good option? 

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
I don't like IEMs because they NEVER fit right.  I've tried changing tips, etc.  Plus the dangly wires are hard to pack up without tangling.  I just don't like them.  I tried to like them.

The 6ft cable on the DT1350's were pretty dangly and easy to tangle...

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 15
Personally I was going to suggest the Shure SE425, smooth in the mids, neutral in the bass, recessed in the treble. Bring out gobs of detail. And very good at isolation. I use mine with comply tips, pretty good fit.
But you're using it for gym, do you think headphones are a good option? 

I wear some Audio Technicas I got on deep discount. Yep, long-ish cord, supra-orals, etc. I still prefer actual headphones to IEMs. A 6 ft cord is a bit long though.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 15
I'm thinking the V-Modas - I can find the V-80s (True Blood tie-in) for $180...and I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they drive off an iPhone ok.  I like the new V-Moda DAC/AMP for iPhone, but the design will change this fall (the iPhone, dunno about the V-Moda DAC/AMP) and then I'll be back at square one again.  If V-Moda gets a new version out that fits the new iPhone quickly, I'll buy one, but I suspect the current device will be a flop due to price and niche appeal.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 15
Only two headphones I own are the HD-650 and the DT-1350 and they do not sound alike at all.  The beyers mids are much more recessed, bass extension is good and the treble is in your face.  Not laid back at all but very tight and precise.  They can be fatiguing imo.  I would like to find some iems with a similar signature as the HD650s so keep the suggestions coming guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back