Best portable headphones for $250?
Nov 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

marzel

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new set of headphones, and my budget is about $250. I am currently interested in the Sony MDR-1R, but I was wondering if there was a better sounding pair. I mainly listen to rap, metal, and acoustic, and I would like them to be portable as I will be taking them with me to school every day. I would also like them to be very comfortable, as I will be wearing them for hours at a time. Thanks!

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 19
The Mdr-1r are good cans, but if you are willing to shell out 50 more bucks I think the v-moda crossfade m-100 is a better option. I used to own the Mdr-1r and gave them to my son after purchasing the m-100. While I did find the 1r to be a little more comfortable, I found the m-100 to be superior in sound and sound stage. The m-100 has lower extension, but not bloated or intrusive into the other frequencies and better highs. The m-100 is comfortable for me (I have average size ears); there are some who have complained about comfort and v-moda listened and answered by offering an xl ear pad for $20. Plus just check out the portability factor; the m-100 folds into the size of little bigger than a softball and comes with a nice semi-hard shell case, perfect for backpack. I highly recommend you check them out. Check amazon as they are often offering sales.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 19
Hello,

The Sony MDR-1R may not be able to pick up most detail in the music neither do I like it for metals.

I second PSB M4U1! They are neutral (so good for all your genre), the bass extends deep (for rap) though not as strong as M-100. Wide soundstage and excellent imaging (for closed headphone) which is suitable for acounstic music. They are comfortable as well.

The M-100 are more for basshead listening in comparison so it definitely depends on what you are looking for!

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 19
Marshall Major FX 50 sounds better than the M-100 for half the price. Better soundstage to my ears than the M-100, Absolutely brilliant sounding headphone.

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 19
I think the Sennheiser Amperiors are an excellent sounding
(and very well made) headphone - especially at their currently
available prices.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Amperior-Blue-Headphones/dp/B0070U6N6I

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 19
v-moda is great. fantastic sound quality. fantastic build. could not recommend the company enough. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for all of the replies. At this point I think I'm going to get the M4U1 or M100...not sure yet.

Bothwill benefit from some genre of music you listen to! If you want more bass and better build quality, the M100 is the one. On the other hand, if you are looking for neutral sound, better resolution, the PSB M4U1 it is! 

Let us know your choice :D

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 19
I've been looking hard at these Onkyo's.- if I didn't have a set of Momentums on the way, I'd definitely pull the trigger on them.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-ES-HF300--Ear-Headphones-Silver/dp/B0081R7XR2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383944752&sr=1-1&keywords=onkyo+headphones

At only $179.00, the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive from both the UK and the US.

Tyll Hertsens of Inner Fidelity included.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300

What do you think?

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 19
AKG K545, take a look at my review and the main thread. Worth a listen if nothing else, I find them to be an upgrade on the 1R in every way except comfort and then they are a tie for me.

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 19
  I've been looking hard at these Onkyo's.- if I didn't have a set of Momentums on the way, I'd definitely pull the trigger on them.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-ES-HF300--Ear-Headphones-Silver/dp/B0081R7XR2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383944752&sr=1-1&keywords=onkyo+headphones

At only $179.00, the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive from both the UK and the US.

Tyll Hertsens of Inner Fidelity included.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300

What do you think?

Well, I bought  a pair.

I read on one of the UK sites that they give the Momentums
a very good run for the money.  And they're about half the price.
I'm just really amazed at how many exceedingly good reviews
they're received without any sense of hype.  

They're scheduled for delivery tomorrow, and I'm really looking
forward to giving these a listen.  I hope they'll replace my
ATH M50's, my current gym headphones (which sound great
but I'm getting a bit bored of them). 

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 19
i would go with some amperiors if I were you, best portable headphones I've yet to hear.
I have a blue pair for sale if you decide to go for them.
I should also add I still haven't heard the m100, but I just bought a pair to compare them side by side to my amperiors, they'll get here on friday, so I guess I could post my impressions next saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back