BEST PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP?
Jun 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #31 of 44
HD600 are actually a pretty benign headphone load, I wish that folklore would go away. They are easier to drive properly than my jh13 and LCD2/3 are even easier. I drive them crazy at just over unity gain (balanced) actually about 1.5x differential voltage gain on a 3vrms dac output.

provided there is enough voltage, say 10-12v across both rails (as in 10-12v total from -5-6->+5-6v) they are an easy load; sure you wont have much joy with 5v and 9v would be a bit low too for full dynamics, but its not hard to have an amp with enough juice.

as for the test of driving 2 x hd600 at once... guys, 2 headphones connected at once makes them EASIER to drive, the impedance seen by the amp is halved as they are seen in parallel....and the efficiency is roughly doubled (the system by 6db so x4, but 3db each). Someone really needs to include ohms law in the headphone basics threads.

HE5/6 on the other hand are not so easy, not because of their impedance, but because of their low sensitivity

Edit: i'm leaving the above because its true, but I wanted to add some detail and clear up my wording on one factor, efficiency, everything else stays the same.

The loudness out of each headphone is doubled (+~3db) with the same input, the system (if that was relevant) would be increased by 6db, but as headphone listening is solitary and many things can get in the way of the audio filling the room, thats a bit meaningless.

What I didnt mean was what was 89dB becomes 178dB (many will have assumed, just making sure). I also hadnt considered the different physical factors with this part wrt headphones placement in space rather than speakers. I suspect its the other stuff you are asking  the professor about anyway
atsmile.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:
I'm running that past an expert .....

go for your life....like I said, these are basic laws and should be required reading

if the headphones were both low impedance headphones, then you would likely have a problem with some, well many amps as 28ohms or perhaps 16ohms becomes 14 or 8 ohms respectively and that demands quite a bit of current, more than many amps will have on tap and those without sub 1ohm outputZ will start to struggle perhaps too.

some opamps (well most) will have less and less swing available into the lower impedance as well, some devices may even current limit, though that seems unlikely.

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #34 of 44
I can get the HD600 cheaply - 300 AUD - now, but everyone has moved on to the bigger orthos, They still hold some interest for me, particularly with the mods - less enticed by the headband cracks, but I have plenty of black masking tape and I'm not afraid to use it from day one. Lets face it - who is going to wear headphones like that in a location where you will be seen by other people ??

There is a comment here in one of the meet threads where one Head-Fier claimed the modded HD600 was sensational with the DNA Sonett - its weird how things like that stick in your noggin. 

Edit - this is the mod to which I refer - it all seems non-destructive and perfectly sane, unlike the so-called 'Frankenstein' mod ....  
eek.gif

http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

The end result looks NOTHING like the Frankencans:

No idea how many hours it took in an Amsterdam cafe to come up with that abomination. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #35 of 44
I have two HD580 and in one I have done all the mods as in APureSound, and in the other just removed the front foam. Both cans sound superb and I am very pleased, heck I prefer them over an HD650 by a wide margin.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:
I have two HD580 and in one I have done all the mods as in APureSound, and in the other just removed the front foam. Both cans sound superb and I am very pleased, heck I prefer them over an HD650 by a wide margin.

How does the APureSound mod change the sound signature? The page doesn't say. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:
I found the top end more extended by replacing the forward facing the foam with a stretched stocking section. The HD600 grills is mostly for looks IMO.

Would that be the same white stocking 'section' I find myself mesmerised by on your avatar, Miguel ?  
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #42 of 44
I still haven't heard a better amp than the GS Voyager, if there is a better one please let me know!

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:
I was quite impressed w/ the L3.  Till I heard the Rx3.

Can anyone confirm the Rx3 is as warm as the Triad L3?

I'm basically after the L3 with balance input/output and same features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back