Best portable Headhones for $400 or less
Nov 29, 2012 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RunninRedline

New Head-Fier
I've been reading through the forum and while this question has been asked and answered many times. I couldn't find one that exactly suited me. I do a lot of traveling and I currently have a set of Trumpets that I love dearly. However, I've been having some inflamation in my ear canals, so I need and over the ear head-phone until that problem resolves. I work sometimes in a noisy environment that noise cancellation is almost definitely needed. I mainly listen to R&B, big band, and pop. I will be using these with my iphone mainly.

Secondary question. Would it be worth it to pick up a headphone amp? I'm fairly new to this hobby and don't know too much about portable headphone amps. Any direction toward good articles would be appreciated.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 10
The DT1350's aren't over the ear phones, but they fit all of your other requirements.  They block most noise and don't need  a lot of power to sound good.  They also sound good with every music genre.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 10
I've been reading through the forum and while this question has been asked and answered many times. I couldn't find one that exactly suited me. I do a lot of traveling and I currently have a set of Trumpets that I love dearly. However, I've been having some inflamation in my ear canals, so I need and over the ear head-phone until that problem resolves. I work sometimes in a noisy environment that noise cancellation is almost definitely needed. I mainly listen to R&B, big band, and pop. I will be using these with my iphone mainly.

Secondary question. Would it be worth it to pick up a headphone am? I'm fairly new to this hobby and don't know too much about portable headphone amps. Any direction toward good articles would be appreciated.

The DT1350 would indeed be a good portable headphone for portability, the ability to be run from an iphone with no amp at all and they have very good noise isolation. They fit securely on your head with the split headband as well. Comfort can be an issue for very long listening sessions.

An over ear that you could look at that sounds fantastic is the KRK KNS8400. It is an over ear headphone and is pretty comfortable and has good isolation. They also can be run directly from an iphone. They are also 150 dollars.

Also look at the AKG K551. Decent isolation. Awesome sound. Not ideal for those with glasses or small head.

If you need actual ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) I the best sounding headphones I know of are the Sennheiser MM550 which can be had refurbished for around $300. The problem with these is that with the ANC turned on it signifigantly affects the low end and it gets anemic in the bass department.

ANC I have found is usefull on planes and areas with dull roar in the background. Higher pitched sounds are not affected much by the ANC circuit. Bose oddly enough has the best ANC I have ever heard however the sound of the headphone is another story.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah I refuse to buy Bose just off of sheer principle. Surprisingly enough I gave the SOUL (by Ludacris) SL300's a test listen at Best Buy today and they aren't Beats competitors they simply blow them away. They actually have a great sonic quality and a pretty good ANC but the build quality seems a bit lack-luster. I might give the Beyer's a shot. Best Buy had them and has a 30 return policy.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 10
The key with the Beyers is just to make sure you get a nice seal over your ear to get the best, most full sound and you will also benefit from great isolation with a proper fit.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 10
I believe the Sony MDR-1R have been received pretty well since they have come out. They should also be a bit more comfortable than the Beyers.

Most portable sets don't require an amplifier.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 10
I thought they wouldn't but would I receive any benefit from using an Fiio E7? My girlfriend and I are going to be flying cross country and I was going to buy a Y-splitter for us to use to watch movies on my iPad. Would an amp be needed or will the Y-splitter be sufficient?

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I thought they wouldn't but would I receive any benefit from using an Fiio E7? My girlfriend and I are going to be flying cross country and I was going to buy a Y-splitter for us to use to watch movies on my iPad. Would an amp be needed or will the Y-splitter be sufficient?

Heya,

When me and my lady travel, I use a Fuze as my source, Y-splitter from the Fuze to two separate Fiio E11 amps, then to the two separate headphones. Works great.

Depending on how efficient the headphones are, such as having identical headphones, a single amp can probably do it, it will just nuke the battery faster.

You don't need an E7. You won't be using the DAC likely while traveling with a mobile device. The E11 will do what you need for less.

Very best,

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

it's funny that you mention that. if you got the vmoda crossfade m100 ($300-310), they come w/ an "easy share" cord, which is a Y-cord. kinda cool! hahah. just another portable option for you to consider under $400.

I am personally trying to decide between Sennheiser Momentum ($350), Sony MDR-1R ($300), and the V-Moda Crossfade M100 ($300-310).

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 10
The M100 is very good if you're happy with a fun / coloured sound signature.  It's one of the most enjoyable headphones I've listened to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back