Best Porcupine Tree Studio Album?
Oct 29, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #17 of 33
Up the Downstair (including Staircase Infinities) with Signify a close second.

Although I am a recent fan, I prefer the earlier PT phase, upto Lightbulb Sun. Its really shocking to see Signify get no votes. I think its a brilliant album with a lot of variety.

Also, no Voyage 34 in the poll? Thats another album which really needs a specific mood to listen to. Awesome production though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up the Downstair - the original disk, not the re-master where drums and many vocals are re-recorded and all emotion found in the original disk is lost. That re-master is a travesty and it's a shame that so many will not hear the album as it should have been.

Interesting, might have to look that up.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The earlier albums are too soft and dull. I like how the post-Lightbulb Sun albums feature a more energetic and varied PT sound.

I usually find pre-absentia albums, such as Lightbulb Sun, to be very atmospheric. However, I do prefer their new style, especially with In Absentia and the Incident.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up the Downstair - the original disk, not the re-master where drums and many vocals are re-recorded and all emotion found in the original disk is lost. That re-master is a travesty and it's a shame that so many will not hear the album as it should have been.

Is there a definitive guide to which PT discs -reissues are the most desrieable to get?

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 33
Stupid Dream is still my favorite, with Sky Moves Sideways being a close second. I just really really like space rock, and Stupid Dream is just in a class by itself.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #23 of 33
I voted for Stupid Dream, with Lightbulb Sun a close second. I miss PT's softer side, I haven't been moved by their newer albums like with the old stuff.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 33
I just listened to my first PT album this weekend - Deadwing. I can't believe there is a better album. Must buy In Absentia...

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very close call between In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet for me. But in the end, I just like In Absentia more.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back