Best pocketable low profile case for iPod 2?
May 13, 2003 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
This thing is even smaller than I thought... Amazing as a piece of technology. I'm not wholly sure about the design but hey, it's one of the best. What I'm after is a very low profile jacket for the iPod to protect it from everyday scratches, especially on the display. Any good recommendations? Thanks.

May 13, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 19
I've been eyeing the Marsware Sportsuit Convertible but low profile I think the Sportsuit basic would be better. www.ipodlounge.com has some reviews on cases. I'm thinking of getting one myself. Congrats on your new Ipod.

May 13, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 19
I have been looking all around for a case for my new ipod. Most of them come out in June. I might resort to wrapping mine in saran wrap like a few have to protect it until some cases come out.

May 13, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 19
According to Patrick Huveldt, the man behind the iGlove, they will have a two new cases for the new iPods in two to four weeks. One is very similar to the current iGlove and the other is an entirely new "sports" model.

May 13, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog5145
Try this:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=753338

Its says it fits all Ipod models but I do not know when the last time that page was updated so the newer ones might not fit.

It will be impossible to use the four buttons above the wheel with nearly all the the first generation iPod cases. I think we'll need to wait a short time before we get a good selection of new iPod cases.

Anyway, I know that for some reason you all despise the Apple case, but using that I went for about a month I getting a single hairline scratch on the display, which came from my polishing cloth and not the case. The case hasn't scratched the back either, but your mileage may vary depending on weather or not your tag has any sharpness to it. Why not just use that until we see some new cases? It's not so bad actually getting to SEE your iPod when you use it rather than hiding it in a case 24/7.

May 13, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Mcrmouse30
Well I bought the 10gb Ipod so mine didn't come with a case or I would use it.

Makes sense. I forgot all about that.

May 13, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 19
I'd call it the second gen. The 10 and 20 gig models were just an update of the first gen, where as this is more of a revision.

May 13, 2003 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 19
Has anyone here used the Marsware sports case before?

May 13, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 19
I recommend the super dooper case (www.sfbags.com).

I use the super dooper with my 2nd gen 10Gig (touchwheel w/buttons around wheel) and it works beautifully. The velcro flap makes it easy to access the controls while it is on my belt or quickly pull out of bag/pocket - you can partially lift the flap and adjust it 'blind' too since you often don't need to look at the screen to just adjust volume or move fwd/back in song list. The clip that comes with this case is excellent and when removed leaves a fairly low profile post on the back of the case which does not get in the way when the case is in your pocket.

I also use the flaps as headphone cord management. I wrap excess cord from my koss ksc35 around the back flap and have just enough to reach my ears while the iPod sits on my belt or in my pocket without a lot of extra cord dangling in my way - very handy! I also use the flap as 'strain relief' for larger headphone cords such as my beyer dt250-80 but this cord is a bit too heavy guage to wrap around the flap - I just tuck one loop under the flap to keep from pulling on the plug accidentally.

I debated over getting a case with the clear plastic/vinyl cover for the iPod face (such as marware ceo classic or sportsuit convertible, etc) and heard from some users that the clear cover sometimes trapped debris and *caused* scratches. The super dooper protects the iPod very well without this clear cover. If you wish, you might also consider using something like the this for extra scratch protection with the super dooper (http://www.everythingipod.com/sugges...%20and%20Clips) - pda screen protectors or clear vinyl sheeting from fabric stores also work well if you don't mind forming/fitting them yourself.

Gary at www.sfbags.com advised me that cases for new iPods would be available soon as well. Very good to deal with and very high quality cases.

See this thread for more links too:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=iPod+AND+case

Hope this helps...good luck!

May 13, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 19
I meant the iPod 2.0 as in the new version with the 4 buttons as well as the wheel. I have the case but I don't like it... Bulky and necessitates removal every time I want to look at something. I just want a jacket the protects against handling scratches.

May 13, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 19
I'm not sure how the new touch buttons work, do you think they'll work with a layer of plastic over them? I'm more interested in the sportssuit by marsware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back