Best Planar Magnetic Headphones under $500?
Aug 9, 2016 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

mutik67

New Head-Fier
I have recently decided to delve into the secular world of high fidelity audio, and am very interested in acquiring myself a pair of planar magnetic headphones. The question is, what is available, affordable, and commendable, aside from the HiFi HE400, or Oppo PM-3? 

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 67
  I have recently decided to delve into the secular world of high fidelity audio, and am very interested in acquiring myself a pair of planar magnetic headphones. The question is, what is available, affordable, and commendable, aside from the HiFi HE400, or Oppo PM-3? 

I'm also interested in this. I picked up the Fostex T50RP Mk 3 a couple weeks ago and they're entry level planars for a great price and they sound pretty great to my ears. I then impulsively sold both my Momentum on-ear and over-ear and then picked up the Audeze Sine's on sale for on-the-go and use at work. Impulse and head-fi is bad for wallet. I was also thinking of getting the OPPO PM-3 and the TH500s but I'd like to see how the Sines and my incoming K7xx are first.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 67
To its credit, I thought the HE400i (original version, and with grill mod) driven by a Schiit Fulla got most of the way there to the sound quality of the HE1000 driven by powerful amps like the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD and Sennheiser HDVD 800.

The latest revision of the HE400i reportedly sounds even better than the original.

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 67
The 400's need a bit of power to sound their best. Focus A pads are a must IMHO. The open grill mod I liked but was afraid I would damage them as I tend to throw things around sometime . I tend to listen to them more than my 400S's. I just like the rawness of the 400's for some things.

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 67
  To its credit, I thought the HE400i (original version, and with grill mod) driven by a Schiit Fulla got most of the way there to the sound quality of the HE1000 driven by powerful amps like the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD and Sennheiser HDVD 800.

The latest revision of the HE400i reportedly sounds even better than the original.

Only to some people. You yourself tried the mods to the HE400, so which do you prefer?
The mod HE400 or the newer HE400i?

Take a quick trip to the for sale section, why are there so many HE400i versions for sale?

I myself just discovered the HE400 mods, man does she shine in balance mode off a 70's receiver.

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 67
400S with focus A pads -$340
ZMF Vibro mk2 -$480

If you want a portable, the Oppo Pm3 is a solid choice at $400.

The Vibro and 400S are the best in that range though.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 67
  Only to some people. You yourself tried the mods to the HE400, so which do you prefer?
The mod HE400 or the newer HE400i?

Take a quick trip to the for sale section, why are there so many HE400i versions for sale?

I myself just discovered the HE400 mods, man does she shine in balance mode off a 70's receiver.

I have never heard the HE400 and never said anything about it; I have heard the original version of the HE400i, which was modified when I got it. I have also auditioned the HE6 and HE1000. There isn't much difference between them, but I prefer the HE6 overall. The reason the HE400i is sold here so often is because it's in-production and popular. Same goes for the HD 800.

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 67
If you can find one in your price range, I would highly recommend you find a used HE-500. Though they seem to be going north of $500 in price recently. In my opinion it is a significantly better headphone than the HE-400. Treble isn't quite as hot, mids are much more present, and while the bass isn't as prominent it is cleaner and extends deeper.

However, if you go with the HE-400 I agree with the Focus-A pads being a must. I also give a nod to the grill mod. Both of these will help with the hot treble.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 67
If you can find one in your price range, I would highly recommend you find a used HE-500. Though they seem to be going north of $500 in price recently. In my opinion it is a significantly better headphone than the HE-400. Treble isn't quite as hot, mids are much more present, and while the bass isn't as prominent it is cleaner and extends deeper.

However, if you go with the HE-400 I agree with the Focus-A pads being a must. I also give a nod to the grill mod. Both of these will help with the hot treble.

Excellent reply from someone who owns both!

This is an experienced based opinion, not just someone trying to build post counts, listen to this advice !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back