Best place to get Porta Pros?
Mar 27, 2002 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jbannow

100+ Head-Fier
I've heard around the forums that the Porta Pros can be aquired for ~$25, but no mention of where ... anyone know a good place to get these for a reasonable price?

- Jeff

Mar 27, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 5
As far as I know, I was the last one to get it for $23 on Yahoo Shopping. (They originally informed me they were out of stock and emailed me 2 weeks later that they had one left). If you do a search on Yahoo Shopping, I believe you can still get it for about $30+shipping which is still a BARGAIN considering the quality of these things. They are FANTASTIC! I can't believe so much good sound comes out of these things. I haven't A/B tested them with the $60+ Grado SR60, but I can tell you from my recollection, the Porta Pros are not bright like the 60s (new, not broken in) and have deeper bass. From what I can remember about the 60s, I enjoy the overall sound of the Porta Pros better (oops did I say something heretical?!
eek.gif
), at least for some jazz and dance music I was listening to. This is not my definitive opinion since I haven't A/B'ed them, however, I will say that they are at least in the same league!

PS, you can also get the Koss KSC-35 (same drivers as Porta Pro) at Headroom for $30+shipping also.

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 5
I take part of my rave of the Porta Pro over the Grado 60 back. Was just listening to the Porta Pros with some Diana Krall last night and noticed some detail was missing; detail I normally hear through my NHT 2.5 speakers or my Senn 580s. So perhaps the Porta Pro isn't the silver bullet I initially thought it was, but it's still a damn good pair of headphones. The Grado SR60s will certainly have much better detail and all the other goodies that are normally associated with headphones with good detail.

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 5
Well, I'm looking for something small and "cheap looking" to take on vacation with me. I don't want to stand out as a wealthy tourist or the sort. (We are going to New Orleans on honeymoon in the summer). These sound like they will fit the bill perfectly.

- Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back