Best place to get new remastered vinyl?
Jul 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jjacq

Playing Upgraditis Mania
I finally got my turntable working properly and I have a handful of vinyls that I've been playing. I'd like to get more but I always seem to prefer the reissues rather than the original...? I would like to know where would be the best place to find reissues? I currently buy from Amazon and so far the prices are good at below $25. I want reissues because the music I like is jazz, which usually is old from 1960s and prior.

Currently looking for some Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, Duke Ellington reissues.

If you guys would like to recommend some awesomely recorded albums that would be fine as well.

Thank you!

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 14
Aside from a few rarities, that stuff is all on CD in excellent sound quality. The only reason to do vinyl for that particular music is to get cheap vinyl at garage sales. Any current LP reissue is going to use the CD master as a source.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
 Any current LP reissue is going to use the CD master as a source.

Not sure about that.  Not when Musicdirect is constantly emailing me with reissued albums taken from the original tapes and such.

And people, vinyl is a singular word!  Not plural!  

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 14
Five bucks says the "original tapes" were mastered to digital before cutting the LP. I seriously doubt they have an old 24 track 2 inch tape running into a Scully lathe. They didn't even do that in the old days. There was a 15 ips 1/4 inch RIAA submaster that was used to cut the record. Today, they'd use a digital master... The same one used to master CDs, just with the RIAA curve applied.

Vinyl is a silly word anyway. They're LP records.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 14
Records, yes.

I only bother with direct-to-disc.

Not really.  There's nothing I want to hear.  You're likely right, especially in these days.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 14
My suggestion is to go scour the two buck used bins for things that aren't already out on CD. Don't spend a lot of money on stuff that's better served on CD.

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Any current LP reissue is going to use the CD master as a source.

Agree. This is a good point, and it's why I've steered away from getting new releases on vinyl.
Quote:
My suggestion is to go scour the two buck used bins for things that aren't already out on CD. Don't spend a lot of money on stuff that's better served on CD.

This. I love finding good records in like thrift stores and such. Especially classical records, but all music really. I must've gotten so many albums at like a quarter a piece. It's a great way to find cheap but amazing music.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 14
You really have to do your research here OP.

Bigshot is correct in general terms. Most new vinyl records being released by the major, traditional labels WILL use the CD master for the vinyl mastering session with additional tweaks so that it works on vinyl.

Browsing the used bins is probably the best and cheapest way to get good sounding vinyl.

That said, there are companies like Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disc which cater to audiophiles. They have vinyl reissues made for the audiophile crowd which is usually mastered properly and from the right tapes by companies like Audio Fidelity, Analogue Productions, MoFi, Cisco, and a host of other audiophile re-release companies. These specialty companies use mastering engineers like Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray, Doug Sax, Paul Stubblebine, and other well known professionals to get the best sound possible.

These specialty labels still mess up from time to time so it gets complicated but in general it is safe bet to buy from them.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks guys! I apologize for my ignorance but now I know better. I will go to a few thrift stores tomorrow for some vinyls!

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Thanks guys! I apologize for my ignorance but now I know better. I will go to a few thrift stores tomorrow for some vinyls!

Cool.

Make sure you check the quality. Dirt and grime can come off but scratches you can feel with your finger won't. Check the center spindle hole for signs of wear. If the center is worn, chances are the LP has been played to death. Make sure you take come sanitary wipes or some hand-wash. Your hands can and will get dirty going through those old LP's.

Have fun!

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Give em a bath before you play em!

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I hate to be that guy, but vinyl is the plural form of itself. I always say LPs anyway, but something about the word "vinyls" really gets to me.

Someone already mentioned it in the post above, no need to reiterate what he said. But yes, understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back