Best PDA for Mac users
Feb 18, 2004 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting a PDA, and I was wondering what would be the best bet. Cost no object (well, under 500 dollars, which I think all are...). Are there good ones on the cusp of being released? Does it make sense to get one now, or wait a bit? I would like it to have bluetooth to sync with the mac, and I would prefer out of the box compatability, but would consider other stuff if it were not too involved. Tungsten T3 sounds good, but I am not sure. I am interested to hear what you all have to say. By the way, can any of these sync with phones? I have verizon and a motorola v60....

Feb 18, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 8
mp_photo.gif

Oh yeahh!!. Thanks for joggin my memory!

The Newton: Now appearing in gif I linked from "oldschool.net"

biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 8
stuartr, probably sticking with Palm-branded PDAs would be best. Sony has some cool Palm OS PDAs but AFAIK you have to buy extra software (Missing Sync) to get them fully working with Macs. The T3 does seem like a nice PDA and is pretty reasonably priced for what it has.

For syncing with cellphones I don't know how much luck you'd have. You can probably buy a cable to connect to your V60 but I don't know how well they'd work together. No Verizon phone except the PDA phones have infrared, and none have bluetooth (that I know of). FWIW, I sell Verizon and Sprint where I work so I tend to keep up on their phones. I have a Nokia 6610 with T-Mobile with an infrared port and although I don't have any sync software on my Sony CLIE, beaming contacts and calender entries back and forth is straightfoward. I think only GSM phones have infrared ports currently, as well as bluetooth. I have heard from my Sprint rep that they will soon be getting a phone that has either infrared or bluetooth (it will be a Nokia) but no word from my Verizon rep on if Verizon will get a phone with those capabilities.

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Same recommendation as Donovan: Palm product w/Missing Sync. I've had to deal with clients who use old Handsprings and a dog's breakfast of PocketPCs. Discontinued products and half-assed implementations... Save yourself the hassle.

As for Newtons, they still have their uses:

stuartr_newt.jpg

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back