Best over-ear cans for ipod use only??
Nov 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

McSteeler

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm really new to high quality head phones (I've never owned anything better than standard ipod earbuds) but I really want some great over-ear headphones.  I've been trying to research on my own, but it gets really complicated and frustrating...seems like lots of headphones "need" an amplifier, which I formerly had no idea even existed for just headphones.

So my question is, what are some suggestions for good over-ear headphones? I like all types of music, listening mostly to rock variants and hip hop with little to no symphonic/classical music or country. 

From my own research I've looked at Sennheiser HD 595 (or other 500 series ones that are better for JUST ipod use?? Everyone says I can't even enjoy these without an amp?), HD 380, and PXC 350.  I've also looked at AKG K 272 HD headphones.  I haven't listened to any of these, but just based off of internet reviews my feeling is they are some of the best sounding headphones in the $200-300 range.  The only place available near me to really listen to products is best buy...so that means I can listen to beats by dre and bose.

Anyway, someone please enlighten me - what are some good quality headphones that will work without any fancy amps or anything beyond an old ipod and a standard lap top computer.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm also looking at ATH-M50 and AKG K 240s. If you have any info on either of these or any of the ones I listed above, don't hesitate!

I'm really super new to this and could use any information at all. I know most of you have had a lot of experience with over-ear cans, let me know what you think of my situation. Thanks!

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 17
Welcome to Head-Fi (sorry about your wallet).

Spending the whole budget on headphones without upgrading the equipment it's plugged into is a common newbie oversight. 

Do you want headphones for portable and home use - or only home use? 

Quote:
Anyway, someone please enlighten me - what are some good quality headphones that will work without any fancy amps or anything beyond an old ipod and a standard lap top computer.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi (sorry about your wallet).

Spending the whole budget on headphones without upgrading the equipment it's plugged into is a common newbie oversight. 

Do you want headphones for portable and home use - or only home use? 

This would be helpful, really helpful.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 17
Haha please excuse my newbiness - I know I have a lot to learn here.  I would be using them for portable and home use.

To prove my newbiness: why do you ask?  I would like a pair of headphones that could be taken on-the-go, but the vast majority of use would be in my home.  I would probably only be taking them out for long car trips or long airplane rides.

Thanks again for any input!

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 17
FWIR and for your uses, I suggest considering the HD25-1 II - often sold new for ~$150 - $200. Wears on the ears, not around.

Quote:
I would be using them for portable and home use.

To prove my newbiness: why do you ask?  I would like a pair of headphones that could be taken on-the-go, but the vast majority of use would be in my home.  I would probably only be taking them out for long car trips or long airplane rides.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks, 1time. I'm slightly hesitant on the HD25-1 II headphones because they wear on the ears. Is comfort an issue?  Compared to something like the ATH M50s, I feel like they would have to be slightly less comfortable.  Is the sound of the HD25-1 IIs much better?

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 17
The AIAIAI TMA-1s are supraural, so those are probably out too.

The M50s are always a great all around choice.  You might want to look at some of the entry level Ultrasones as well.

If your planning to use them out and about, even some of the time, you'll probably want to get a closed back pair that will keep noise out and your music in.  The M50s, most Ultrasones, the AIAIAIs, HD25s, and I think the K272s are closed, of the ones mentioned so far.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 17
Yes, comfort is always an issue to be addressed. Some headphones are more adjustable for fit than others, and not everyone prefers the comfort of one over another. But regarding which sounds better, it's a matter of preference. One does not sound better than the other to everyone - for their uses. People have differing preferences. If buying the M50, you'll want the coiled cable for portable use - not the M50S which has the long straight cable.

Quote:
Thanks, 1time. I'm slightly hesitant on the HD25-1 II headphones because they wear on the ears. Is comfort an issue?  Compared to something like the ATH M50s, I feel like they would have to be slightly less comfortable.  Is the sound of the HD25-1 IIs much better?

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 17
Without and amp the ath-m50 is very good.  however, if you want to make the ath-m50 sound 'better' eventually you would have to spend an increased amount of money.  What type of music do you listen to?

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 17
do you want isolated sound?? if yes, go for closed cans.

If you also want a decent amount of bass, you can cross the 240's of your list, they are more focused in the mid ranges.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 17
Thanks a lot everyone!

andtobis - to answer your question, I listen to mostly rock and hip hop/rap, some acoustic material and electric/techno, and very little classical or country.

I do want isolated sound, as I'll be using these on-the-go.

I think I've decided ATH-M50s are the best choice for me, I do want a decent amount of bass and a lot of people on this forum seem to think they're a great set of starter cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back