Best option for Portable listening Headphones (JVC HA-S500, ATH-ES500, AKG K518)
Jun 8, 2014 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

derackles

New Head-Fier
Hello, gonna get cheap portable headphone but im in debate, might be around 60-100$, but problem is going to order on amazon, dont have a chance to try them before buy, so im really picky at this point. 

Mostly gonna listen drone, shoegaze, rave, electro punk on ipod, so here is my list of headphones in my mind

JVC HA-S500
ATH-ES500
AKG K518

I read reviews about these but dont know which one to get. Also feel free to recommend different opinions.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 8
The best values i know of under $100 are the:
Martin logan mikros 90 (bass light and uncomfortable for some... $300 original price)
Harmon kardon cl ($200 original price)
Donscorpio dolphin
Koss prodj100 with m50 pads
Yamaha pro 300

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Are you looking for something more fun sounding or neutral?

Well im in between actually, for shoegaze and drone type i prefer neutral but for electronic i prefer fun sound. Other headphones you mentioned seems nice, especially harman kadron looks good on fun sound, but i found very few or none rewiews about these headphones. I was confused but now im much more confused lol, thanks btw

Oh also i will order them to europe so most of these headphones ( like harman kadron or mikro 90s) cant be shipped from amazon

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Well im in between actually, for shoegaze and drone type i prefer neutral but for electronic i prefer fun sound. Other headphones you mentioned seems nice, especially harman kadron looks good on fun sound, but i found very few or none rewiews about these headphones. I was confused but now im much more confused lol, thanks btw

Oh also i will order them to europe so most of these headphones ( like harman kadron or mikro 90s) cant be shipped from amazon

You would probably like the yamaha pro300 and donscorpio dolphins the most on their own. Audyssey and accudio are eq apps that work with frequency response measurements. They can make commonly recognized headphones neutral but they are only for smart phones

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 8
JVC HA-S680 headphones, they ship from Japan.
Buy them on Amazon or eBay.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 8
I like the K518 better than the S500 if you do the mod that adds some blue tack to the cups. This reduces enclosure resonance and tightens up the bass a little. Very nice :)

I also like the UE6000, on close out on Amazon for under $100. Very comfortable (more comfortable than S500 and K518). Very good bass.

Do you have to order from Amazon? The Donscorpio Dolphins that have been mentioned are great for headphones with bass emphasis, but you would order them from Penon Audio.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for info, donscorpio dolphins seems fit good but i dont know it looks a little huge for portable listen, i will consider it.

I might be put some more money and get ATH-ES700 cuz have a huge crush on these, only problem is i dont know if it fits my music taste. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back