Best (Open) Rock Headphones Under $250
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Trunks159

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey head-fi. Ive become disappointed with all these dark/neutral headphones concerning rock.

Id overall like the headphones to be bright.

Thanks In Advance!

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 16
Try one of the Grado Prestige series, maybe Sr80i or  SR225i.
They are more forward sounding and "lively" than many other headphones. They aren't 'laid back". Music is more engaging.
You might not think they have enough bass, but I haven't really had a problem with that. You could use an equalizer in that case.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 16
You  could buy some nice second hand 325i's for $250 or less and they are fantastic for rock.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 16
I had some grados a long while ago (sr80i) and I enjoyed them, but found that they were a little too bass light. I already know about grados, so I'm just looking for any other options. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
I had some grados a long while ago (sr80i) and I enjoyed them, but found that they were a little too bass light. I already know about grados, so I'm just looking for any other options. Thanks!

They have a nice bass kick when amped. 

What about a closed back headphone? they tend to have more bass than open ones. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 16
I like both my modded T50rp and my Q701 for rock and metal. Both are under $250.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 16
If you are going to limit yourself to open, then leave the T50rp off of your list because they are sealed, or at least mostly sealed. They also sound like poop when stock. They really need to be modded to sound good, but they can be tuned to sound pretty much however you want them to sound. They can be bass heavy, bass light or neutral depending on how tune them. They really are pretty versatile. Lately I prefer them over my Q701, but they really don't have that much more bass the way I have them tuned. Maybe 2-3db more overall, but with more linear extension down to/past 20hz.    
Quote:
So basically my options are grados, the q701, and t50rp.

I can't use closed because of comfort and usually they have too much bass.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
So basically my options are grados, the q701, and t50rp.

I can't use closed because of comfort and usually they have too much bass.

Not sure how closed is less comfortable.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666519/wts-beyer-t70-price-includes-shipping-paypal
I love them for rock... somewhat bright, a lot of people call them bass light, but I think they're pretty good with a decent seal.  Only a tiny bit over budget.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Actually, the thing that improves with Grados as you go up in price is the bass.  That's the primary difference, IMHO.  The PS500's (HF-2's) are radically different in bass response compared to something like the SR80's, 225's, 325's, etc.

You will not like the Q/K701's if your major complaint is "a little too bass light" with previous headphones.

The T50rp is a very special headphone.  The reason it's modded so much (besides the potential of the ortho technology) is that it literally sounds like cr*p out of the box.  There are very few headphones above $10 that sound as bad out of the box.
wink.gif
  They have to be modded.  If you're not into that, don't get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back