Best open headphone for rock and metal?
Sep 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

daniel521

500+ Head-Fier
I know this has been asked a lot of times, but I have a much larger budget than most of the people who asked. My budget is 1000-1200 dollars. I want an exciting headphone which brings your music to life, which is something that grado's are known to do. I also want a big soundstage. Specifically, I was in doubt between two headphone: The Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 and the Grado RS1i. Which one of these will fit be best? How do they compare in mids, highs and soundstage and most important of all, which one will give me a better feeling when listening to rock and metal. I think it's obvious that the t1 is a technically superior headphone, but that doesn't mean that it will be more fun than the RS1i. The Rs1i can be sonically worse, but more enjoyable. Which one would you recommend?

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 109
Quote:

In your price range...LCD-2s...game...set...match. 
L3000.gif

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 109
Was going to say Grado, but when I read big soundstage I take it back. I was lucky enough to try the Grado PS1000 at my local Vancouver meet, and they were really something. But after A/Bing both the PS1000 and SR225i, they weren't too off... 

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 109
I heard they are really laid back and dark which really isn't what I'm looking for. Im want a more energetic and forward sounding headphone. I'm not ignoring what you, do you think the LCD-2 will be the best option for me, do you think they are energetic? 

The only better headphone for rock/metal are the LCD-3s. As I mentioned, in your price range, the LCD-2s are the best I've heard. Have a look at my profile to see the other headphones I've owned.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 109
Quote:
The only better headphone for rock/metal are the LCD-3s. As I mentioned, in your price range, the LCD-2s are the best I've heard. Have a look at my profile to see the other headphones I've owned.

Im a bit worried that they will be too laid back for me. They are said to be really dark and not very energetic. Im looking for a headphone that sounds alive and energetic. Do the LCD-2's sound energetic to you despite being really dark? I just wish I could find a place to try it out. I'll do a bit more research on it though.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 109
Im a bit worried that they will be too laid back for me. They are said to be really dark and not very energetic. Im looking for a headphone that sounds alive and energetic. Do the LCD-2's sound energetic to you despite being really dark? I just wish I could find a place to try it out. I'll do a bit more research on it though.

I've said all I have to say. They smoke the T1s and RS1s for rock and they are not "laid back". Some who like overly bright then may say the are laid back, but IMO they certainly are the best for rock/metal in that price range.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 109
On the right amp the LCDs are fantastic. They have a more laid back presentation than it's immediate competitor but both perform in true planar fashion. The Bryston amp is fantastic with them balanced.

Another consideration is a used HE-6 with a decent speaker amp.

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 109
I mostly listen to rock/classic rock/jazz.  I've directly compared the LCD-2s, T-1s and Grado PS-1000s (among others) for many hours at home and if I had to choose one of those I'd probably go with the LCD-2s... but I like the Audeze house sound (to the point that I liked the LCD-3s best, so that's what I bought).  The T-1s, while sonically different, were VERY close in my order of preference to the LCD-2s, and I am seriously thinking of plunking down the bucks on a pair soon.  They are a change of pace from the Audezes, with a different fit and feel, in addition to a different sound, which would be ideal for me as a second pair.

But as a first pair?  It will really come down to your personal preferences.  Both the T-1s and LCD's sound great with whatever you throw at them, assuming quality source and amp.  The LCD's have a better, more forward mid-range, while the T-1s have more treble energy.  Both had excellent bass, with the edge maybe going to the LCDs, but not by much.  Both were tight/well-controlled in the bass, with good timbre.  It all really depends on which sound you like better.

You also need to take comfort into account.  Planars like the Audezes are heavy with significant clamping force, and the Audeze's with their leather pads are hot.  Some people have a problem wearing them for very long, but I don't mind.  On the other hand, I admit that there are times when I wished I had something light and reasonably cool like the Beyers to slap on when I'm tired of my head getting steam-pressed.  That's why I'm probably going to buy the T-1s soon. 

As to the Grados, I only have experience with the PS-1000s, which are supposed to be their flagship headphones: they didn't fit me well at all, and I found their bass to be tubby/boomy/uncontrolled compared to the Beyers and Audezes.  The sound might have been affected by the poor fit, but my point is that fit/comfort is an important part of the experience, so I STRONGLY recommend that you try them all on before buying them.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #12 of 109
Quote:
I mostly listen to rock/classic rock/jazz.  I've directly compared the LCD-2s, T-1s and Grado PS-1000s (among others) for many hours at home and if I had to choose one of those I'd probably go with the LCD-2s... but I like the Audeze house sound (to the point that I liked the LCD-3s best, so that's what I bought).  The T-1s, while sonically different, were VERY close in my order of preference to the LCD-2s, and I am seriously thinking of plunking down the bucks on a pair soon.  They are a change of pace from the Audezes, with a different fit and feel, in addition to a different sound, which would be ideal for me as a second pair.

But as a first pair?  It will really come down to your personal preferences.  Both the T-1s and LCD's sound great with whatever you throw at them, assuming quality source and amp.  The LCD's have a better, more forward mid-range, while the T-1s have more treble energy.  Both had excellent bass, with the edge maybe going to the LCDs, but not by much.  Both were tight/well-controlled in the bass, with good timbre.  It all really depends on which sound you like better.

You also need to take comfort into account.  Planars like the Audezes are heavy with significant clamping force, and the Audeze's with their leather pads are hot.  Some people have a problem wearing them for very long, but I don't mind.  On the other hand, I admit that there are times when I wished I had something light and reasonably cool like the Beyers to slap on when I'm tired of my head getting steam-pressed.  That's why I'm probably going to buy the T-1s soon. 

As to the Grados, I only have experience with the PS-1000s, which are supposed to be their flagship headphones: they didn't fit me well at all, and I found their bass to be tubby/boomy/uncontrolled compared to the Beyers and Audezes.  The sound might have been affected by the poor fit, but my point is that fit/comfort is an important part of the experience, so I STRONGLY recommend that you try them all on before buying them.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I can't go wrong with either one since they are all great phone. People actually say the RS1i is better than the PS1000 so that's worth taking into consideration. I'll try to find a place to try them out and see which one fits me.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 109
I use the RS-1s on my portable rig. It's voiced for the rock and roller so has a lot of colored sound supporting those genre. If your rock is more electric/electronic, I felt the aluminum bodied MS-2 sounded better than the RS-1, GS-1000. My music is more acoustic/songwriter rock so the RS-1s fit my tastes.

I'd like to hear those with the Head Fi Grados comment on the rock genre. The PS-500s?

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 109
Personally, for rock and metal, I wouldn't touch the LCD-2s, or any Audeze HPs, with a 10' cattle prod. Tesla T1s are decent, so are the RS1s, but my favorites are the HiFiMan HE-6s ($1299). Or, at least they're my favorites below $3,000. If they're too much, or the hardware requirements are too high, the HE-500s ($699) are a great bargain. Another interesting option is the Koss ESP/950s electrostats ($700-800), and that price includes amp. They're very, very fast with great mids and smooth, natural bass. They have very low distortion and excellent transient response, as well.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 109
As a fellow metal head the problem with metal is recording and engineering. Much of it is poorly recorded and high end headphones tend to be too revealing for it. I like my Grado SR80 with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back