Best Op-amp for X-Fi Prelude/Meridian or socketed soundcard if using an amp is NONE
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 33
I thought OP was for output filtering. curious too.

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 33
nob here and confused
let me get this strait!
to do this mod you have to remove the opamp and then short the two pins on the board or keep the opamp in place and just short the two legs?

thanks

Aug 23, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #18 of 33
I'm thinking of doing this except on the Juli@ soundcard. Anyone know how the DAC handles the capacitive load?

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fetalgoat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot. Hey. I discovered how to fix this following the datasheet. You need to bridge the 3rd and 5th plugs rather than the 3rd and 6th. Sounds fantastic this way.

Thanks for this (OP too), I've now successfully bypassed my opamp by bridging the 3rd and 5th plugs. I can't say I can hear a night and day difference (I was using the Audio GD Earth or Moon opamps) although at least now I don't have to bother opamp rolling any more as it's out of the path.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by phusg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this (OP too), I've now successfully bypassed my opamp by bridging the 3rd and 5th plugs. I can't say I can hear a night and day difference (I was using the Audio GD Earth or Moon opamps) although at least now I don't have to bother opamp rolling any more as it's out of the path.

Sorry, spoke too soon. I'm getting some distortion from bass heavy passages without the opamp. Just retested with the opamp back in and it's gone.

Maybe I'm missing something big here - does the bridge go in with or without the opamp in place? Also how thin does the wire have to be?

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wires go in WITHOUT the opamp in place. The opamp is there for a reason. I would not advise this procedure but your card so your choice...

Sounds like good advice. I risked this on my Mystique and not Meridian and won't be messing with it again. Sounded too good to be true and everyone knows what they say about that!

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #23 of 33
well, it's only doable for buffer I think...doing this for I/V would fail?!

anyway, many DIY ppl try to avoid op-amps....as they don't really deliver the goods, all the cheap parts have drawbacks. only discrete op-amps can deliver, and these are not cheap....so I've read on diyaudio.com that sometimes it's preferable to avoid using them at all.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by phusg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like good advice. I risked this on my Mystique and not Meridian and won't be messing with it again. Sounded too good to be true and everyone knows what they say about that!

As I mentioend the opamps is there for a reason so the amp keeps the signal within proper levels. If your remove and bypass the socket you just get a much lower signal and you end up using the external amplifier to boost the signal even more. I would think it would also affect the SNR in a negative way...higher Noise with less Signal.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, it's only doable for buffer I think...doing this for I/V would fail?!

anyway, many DIY ppl try to avoid op-amps....as they don't really deliver the goods, all the cheap parts have drawbacks. only discrete op-amps can deliver, and these are not cheap....so I've read on diyaudio.com that sometimes it's preferable to avoid using them at all.

Depends on the circuit. There are passive I/V circuits..you can build very simple ones with just a resistor.
Every opamps has a unique sound signature with both positive and negative affects.

As for people saying they don't like opamps, I am sure if you keep reading you will find people that have the total opposite opinion also.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #26 of 33
you know I really wanna try this, prolly tomorrow
evil_smiley.gif

so I should short 3 and 5, everyone says different..

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #27 of 33
I know your new to electronics and opamps but start with the pin outs. This should give you a idea of what your supposed to de doing when you bypass the opamp.

The most common mistake when people do this is inverting the phase of the output. Which would totally destroy the stereo feild. If you try it and it just sound off, chances are you inverted the phase of the signal.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #29 of 33
Thin piece of wire between the two pin position bridging them. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back