Best of DMB!?
Jun 1, 2005 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mr_baseball_08

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.. I'm about to start investing in some DMB cd's, so I wanted some opinions on all of ya'lls favorites and the ones I should start out getting. Buddy of mine suggested Under the Table or Crash. Anyone else care to throw something out??

JD

Jun 1, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Those two and Before These Crowded Streets are definately they're high points in the studio. From those on they started to get more mainstream and less "jam bandish" I think. I do like Busted Stuff but it is a little slower than the other 3 albums.

I also think you should check out their live recordings, 'cause that's where they really shine. Live at Luther College isn't the entire band, just Dave and Tim Reynolds, but is an excellent album. Thier best live album would be.....uh...most of them, but if your just starting, The Central Park Concert would be a good intro I think. Good recording and a wide range of new and old songs.

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 9
Definitely start with "Crash." From there backtrack to "Under the table and dreaming" then fast forward to "Before these crowded streets."

As for live releases, start with "Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95" which is an excellent recording and a great setlist. I would also highly recommend "Remember two things" which is a early live album, sounds great and again, features a fantastic setlist.

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 9
While I'm not the hugest DMB fan, I've been to a lot of the shows--mostly the earlier ones. They were always very "jam bandish" it just never really made it onto their albums until later. As far as studio albums, I'd stick with things before 2000. Under the Table and Dreaming was their break-out album and probably the best. The albums prior to this merely contain earlier versions of the songs that appear on UtTaD. Both Crash and Before these Crowded Streets are both good too. BtCS is a bit darker if you can call DMB dark. For live albums, Red Rocks is good but the studio albums cover the same material pretty well. Live from Luther College is awesome and the soundquality is top notch--it's my personal fav but I'm sure most won't agree.

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm going to 2nd Live at Luther College - It was my introduction to Dave and Tim Reynolds

I like the Live Trax cd's you can order off his web site better than any of the other comercial live albums.

Revan

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 9
I would recommend staying away from "Busted Stuff" and instead, search around with p2p for "Lillywhite Sessions". They are the unmastered/unaltered versions of the songs on "Busted Stuff" and, IMO, much better and more emotional.

I don't know which ones you should start with first, but make your last stop on the DMB express "Before These Crowded Streets". My personal favorite, by far actually, but it's a bit different from most of their work. It will spoil your opinion of the other albums. Also, stay away from "Everyday", it stinks.

Jun 1, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 9
Cool comments from everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

I would also recommend on joining up to www.antsmarching.org and start downloading shows (for free) and listen to them.

Moderators: The band supports the sharing of live concerts via the internet.

If you want to get started off on downloading live shows, try: October 6, 1994. It's an excellent setlist and the sound is quite stellar for a soundboard.

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco

As for live releases, start with "Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95" which is an excellent recording and a great setlist. I would also highly recommend "Remember two things" which is a early live album, sounds great and again, features a fantastic setlist.

I can't recommend this live album enough. After many months of listening to all of their live recordings, this ones stands out the most to me. The setlist is wonderful too, so you won't find yourself listening just because it's recorded well.

Other than Red Rocks, I really like Listener Supported discs, they also have a great setlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back