Best neutral music player under 150$
Oct 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

35mmJack

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am a new member, though I have been reading and digging for a few months at head-fi.
Anyway, I would like to ask for a recommendation about a neutral music player under 150$ with a decent storage space (or support SD card)

I am using a rockboxed sansa clip zip. But since I got a Vsonic GR07, the old player seem to be not good enough.
Are SONY players good? I was told their sound are much colored... And how about second-hand ipod classic gen 7 or the old Ipod Video gen 5.5 ?
Could you please name some decent players around? And comparison with sansa clip zip will be appreciated very much.

I also tried rocoo and amp3 stuffs for a while but could not buy them because of the distortion and hissing.
I am in Vietnam now, so I can only try the above players. But a friend of mine can help me to buy one from amazon.

Thanks for your time.
@update: I have found a second-hand cowon S9 16gb at ~65$. How does it soundscomparing to ipod ?

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 24
The Sony A764, S:Flo 2, J3 are great buy and they are detailed.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 24
I have the S9 it's a great player and pairs well with my GR07 MK2. If you happen to buy it shoot me a PM I'll give you my preset EQ settings for GR07 MK2. It sounds great flat too, for $65 you can't really wrong, big improvement over Sansa imo. Wider soundstage, increased instrument separation, better natural timbre and a much smoother signature along with increased detail depth.. You could also look at Colorfly C3 which is purely an audiophile focused DAP or possibly Cowon C2.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
I have the S9 it's a great player and pairs well with my GR07 MK2. If you happen to buy it shoot me a PM I'll give you my preset EQ settings for GR07 MK2. It sounds great flat too, for $65 you can't really wrong, big improvement over Sansa imo. Wider soundstage, increased instrument separation, better natural timbre and a much smoother signature along with increased detail depth.. You could also look at Colorfly C3 which is purely an audiophile focused DAP or possibly Cowon C2.

About that Colorfly C3, I had a hard time with small UI of AMP3. I can get a brand new one at 90$. So may be it will be my choice if I can not reach the second-hand S9. :D
Can you compare C3, S9 and C2? I have read somewhere that C2 is somehow better. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 24
About that Colorfly C3, I had a hard time with small UI of AMP3. I can get a brand new one at 90$. So may be it will be my choice if I can not reach the second-hand S9. :D
Can you compare C3, S9 and C2? I have read somewhere that C2 is somehow better. 

Yes I can, I have / had all three at one time.

We can knock S9 / C3 comparison over here in this link

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625893/review-colorfly-c3/390#post_8794781

Bassically the C2 is the lowest rated of the players mentioned holding similar characteristics to S9 but in lower doses, stage smaller, slightly less detail etc etc...everything I mentioned the S9 being above imagine that in smaller amounts with a C2, (probably about 20% less on all accounts)

You're on the right track imo, depending if you feel need to EQ the S9 for $65 I would take first, as it's a great price, then use C3 as fall back plan. Then again the C3 does have SD expandable memory where as for $65 you will be capped at 16GB (about 32 FLAC albums) and C3 is the better sounding player flat. Both are great don't worry about that, you will be achieving good SQ no matter which you choose. :smile:

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
Yes I can, I have / had all three at one time.
We can knock S9 / C3 comparison over here in this link
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625893/review-colorfly-c3/390#post_8794781
Bassically the C2 is the lowest rated of the players mentioned holding similar characteristics to S9 but in lower doses, stage smaller, slightly less detail etc etc...everything I mentioned the S9 being above imagine that in smaller amounts with a C2, (probably about 20% less on all accounts)
You're on the right track imo, depending if you feel need to EQ the S9 for $65 I would take first, as it's a great price, then use C3 as fall back plan. Then again the C3 does have SD expandable memory where as for $65 you will be capped at 16GB (about 32 FLAC albums) Both are great don't worry about that, you will be achieving good SQ no matter which you choose.
smile.gif

I am enlighten now. Thank you very much. I will contact immediately the sellers and tell you later. :D

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 24
It seems that the only S9 I can find is not for sale anymore. After all, that deal was too good to be true.
I decide to buy a Colorfly C3, will go for a try this weekend.  Reading your review also make me feel that it would be more reasonable choice. Thankfully, it supports my 16GB SD card.
Thank you again. :D

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 24
It seems that the only S9 I can find is not for sale anymore. After all, that deal was too good to be true.
I decide to buy a Colorfly C3, will go for a try this weekend.  Reading your review also make me feel that it would be more reasonable choice. Thankfully, it supports my 16GB SD card.
Thank you again. :D

Hi 35mmJack.

Either choice as I said will be great, The C3 is a marvellous player and for what you originally came for looking into neutral is the best choice. It will perform overly well with your GR07 and better than the S9 would have set flat.

Thanks for letting us know, and I"m sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 24
Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 24
Hi guys,

I am a new member, though I have been reading and digging for a few months at head-fi.
Anyway, I would like to ask for a recommendation about a neutral music player under 150$ with a decent storage space (or support SD card)

I am using a rockboxed sansa clip zip. But since I got a Vsonic GR07, the old player seem to be not good enough.
Are SONY players good? I was told their sound are much colored... And how about second-hand ipod classic gen 7 or the old Ipod Video gen 5.5 ?
Could you please name some decent players around? And comparison with sansa clip zip will be appreciated very much.

I also tried rocoo and amp3 stuffs for a while but could not buy them because of the distortion and hissing.
I am in Vietnam now, so I can only try the above players. But a friend of mine can help me to buy one from amazon.

Thanks for your time.
@update: I have found a second-hand cowon S9 16gb at ~65$. How does it soundscomparing to ipod ?

Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip.

You dun goofed.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 24
Stick with it! Its pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back