Best music player + music transfer protocol for Windows?
Nov 6, 2019 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

manueljenkin

100+ Head-Fier
My current setup looks like this

Surface book -> Apogee groove -> burson fun -> shure srh1540.

The apogee groove outputs 5v at 100%. It has its own driver for windows and it's master volume scale is there in db. I pulled it down by 8db in the apogee groove control panel. 8db down brings it to 2v which is proper for my burson fun. Otherwise the fun gets into input clipping mode.

I'm torn apart between music players that do proper audio transfer in windows. I know for sure I'm hearing the clock sync issues since I have tried forcing stuff on my nx4dsd and I often got memory mismatch error, and on my apogee groove I sometimes get bus timeout error (both in foobar2000 asio mode).

The windows groove player sucks. It has got something like a low pass filter and bass boost and is clearly evident when listening. It also has some ridiculously messed up buffer, sync and data transfer stack. Like there are songs where scrolling to a point will remove detail. I'll need to play from first else some low level detail are removed as a whole.

I have moved to foobar2000 and haven't looked behind. The output also improves in asio mode for the most part. I have tried a couple of asio plugins, one by Peter himself and another by the name of asio2.

The one by Peter is nice, but it feels like it smoothens the transients out a little (or is that accuracy? I'm confused). The other one has a wierd artefact. If I keep the foobar volume at 100% it has clipping issues especially sharp bass notes (the squarish ones). Just pulling the volume slider down by 0.3db on foobar2000 fixes it. I think it has something to do with the edge values and boundary just getting clipped with waveforms that trigger that. Anyone who knows a solution can help me? The plugin as support for complex Intel instruction sets (sse4.1 and avx).

Link to the plugin:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/foobar2000-wasap2-output/

Link to peters official plugin:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

Over time I've tried a few other players -
1. BeeMp3 - low passed audibly. Very soft.
2. Resonic - the free version didn't support asio and the non asio mode sounded off
3. Clementine - I never got around to it. Due to harness of setting up asio.
4. Audacious - same as above reason.
I've tried a few other software and all of them failed miserably in comparison to foobar2000 + asio. Except one.

Winyl.
https://winyl-player.github.io/
Supports asio out of the box. Has nice ui. And is very minimalistic. This is the only thing that has got close to having as robust output as foobar2000, with not much trace of filtering and artefacts. However, here's the big bummer. It sounds very different. Here's the comparison of foobar2000 + peters asio vs winyl asio mode.

While foobar2000 feels like slightly fluid/low passed or smoothened, the winyl doesnt suffer from that problem. But it sounds different in a way that it feels somewhat v shaped in comparison. I know that at max only one of the above two is correct but I have a hard time figuring it out. And also, I'm not exactly sure, but I did feel like I heard a tiny bit of reverb on winyl in certain music. Might be content in my music itself so can't say for sure.

Anyone else had similar experience? What other players would you recommend. I'm in the process of moving to Linux for audio, but want to explore my other options in windows before moving. I'm not interested in stuff like fidelizer at the moment since my laptop is my work machine as well.

Nov 14, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 4
I have the same question about the ideal windows player, Foobar2000 is according to many users one of the well recommended software.

However the spinoff versions you have linked seem to be deprecated:

Last Update: 2016-12-15

This spin off alternative version seems to be outdated, if this is no longer maintained it is very likely that it is no longer used.

At this page ASIO is not recommended and also the plugin isn't maintained any longer, last version form 2012.

Quote from the download page:

"Please note that this component is meant for systems where ASIO is the only available output method. It is highly recommended to use the default output modes instead of ASIO. Contrary to popular "audiophile" claims, there are NO benefits from using ASIO as far as music playback quality is concerned, while bugs in ASIO drivers may severely degrade the performance."

Current version
2.1.2, released on 2012-06-06

Users who are viewing this thread

Back