Best Laptop for Audio
Jul 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

lordearl

500+ Head-Fier
(1) Is there any laptop which offers better on board digital out than other models around?

(2) If using usb out to a usb-dac, can some laptops offer better sub out than others?

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 32
I would think that laptops that offer 5.1 output will offer better stereo sound just because the motherboard reserves more power for the audio than a regular laptop that offers only a 1/8 output.
I've had 3 HP pavilion and one Acer laptops. HP laptops have better output than the Acer does, but of course not even close to a DAC/AMP.

Every time I bought a newer HP model, the sound gets better. Right now Im using a HP DV7-1270us, and the 1/8 output cannot handle my HD215's. It really needs more dedicated power source for the 1/8 output.

That's why Im going for the DAC.

I would like to hear what an Alienware laptop owner has to say about this.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 32
Every laptop I have ever owned sucks. I have had many 5k+ models from Dell, HP, and Alienware.

Sometimes a crappy PCExpress card is ok and they usually have an optical out...but the headphone jack is noisy, low power, and mostly useless. I havent seen a built spdif in a while now on laptops. Some have them on the docking stations - lately I just use WASAPI USB or a spdif in pcExpress using WASAPI.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 32
Just get a regular laptop and a Total Bithead and you'll be happy. It will sound the same on any laptop. Assuming you do ASIO/WASAPI/Kernel streaming.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhang1013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Macbook pro?

Only thing about a Macbook pro that might make it better is that it does have digital output builtin (must use a little toslink adapter).

However the onboard audio on a Macbook is just like any other Realtek chip.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhang1013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Macbook pro?

My thought exactly!
...or the regular MacBook for that matter. Since they have optical S/PDIF out, and seems to do little wrong earlier in the sound chain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing about a Macbook pro that might make it better is that it does have digital output builtin (must use a little toslink adapter).

Which is exactly what the OP ask for > "better on board digital out..."
wink.gif

No need to use TOSLINK adapter, just get the correct equipped cable.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 32
+2 for the MacBook Pro
biggrin.gif
Most PC laptops are made for "business sound" (PowerPoint presentations and the odd YouTube clip and thus no digital output port)
rolleyes.gif
If you want/need a PC, get a descent USB DAC to go with it (a good and cheap one would be the Nuforce Icon Mobile, I happen to have one myself)
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 32
I have an Asus G50vt + Pico DAC/amp. Sounds of love.

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 32
+3 on the MacBook Pro. You don't have to deal with FooBar2000 to get bit-perfect. I'm using optical-out and it works great.

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get a macbook you won't be able to use foobar!

That's also why I haven't changed to the MBP. Foobar is a freakin' awesome player.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best laptop for audio is a dell mini 9 or mini 10. They are fanless which is important IMO. If you get a macbook you won't be able to use foobar!

I get quite a bit of upper frequency distortion on my Dell Mini 9 (running Mac OSX) making it unusable as a music player via the headphone out. It only has a 16GB SSD, so I don't care anyway.

I was wrong. I just tried another file and it seems quite ok, if a little forward in the treble.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 32
I heard dell is the worst laptop for usb audio.
Computer Audio : Empirical Audio
I have a hp tablet (touchscreen) that works really well combined with jriver media center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back