Best iPhone mic adapter?
Nov 16, 2010 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
I have some Sennheiser HD25s on the way and I really want to keep the functionality of using a mic so I can accept phone calls without taking off my cans.  I simply need the one button setup.

I saw the Shure's for 40, but I was wondering if there were any other alternatives.

The reason I'm asking is because I bought the Griffin adapter about a year ago and it failed within a month.  

Thanks

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 11
 I am interested in this too. I already have Ety ER4Ps and Ultimate Ears TF10. I don't want to give them up, and I don't want to have to spend loads of money to get the headset version of either.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 11
i have an iPhone 4 and have used several of the available mic adapters, griffin,ATK,Radioshack, and the Shure. In my opinion the only decent one is the Shure mpa. It have execellent build quality, and a very good mic. The button works reliably, and the sound from the headphones is not degraded.

The other options were unuversally crap.

BTW, for the TFP, your best option is to order the vi cable from logitech. I think the last one I bought for around $40, and really works well.

Good luck!

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
i have an iPhone 4 and have used several of the available mic adapters, griffin,ATK,Radioshack, and the Shure. In my opinion the only decent one is the Shure mpa. It have execellent build quality, and a very good mic. The button works reliably, and the sound from the headphones is not degraded.

BTW, for the TFP, your best option is to order the vi cable from logitech. I think the last one I bought for around $40, and really works well.

Good luck!

What would be nice is if I could actually find the Shure one for sale.  It seems to be sold out everywhere right now.

How about the Audio-Technica one?  Did you manage to give that one a shot?  The mic piece is a little big, but it's a name that's known in these circles.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 11
wait, there's a new Shure model coming out called CBL.  I guess I have to wait for it.

There's one out now but it's only compatible with Shure IEMs, the universal one hasn't been released yet.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/music-mobile/m-mplus-cables

The one on the left without the volume controls.

Nov 16, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
those only work with the Shure headphones with detachable cables.

doh!

I thought it meant that you could use it with any headphone.

What gives, Shure?  Anyway, someone just sold me theirs from the forums today, so that ends my hunt for a mic cable.

If Shure or anyone else makes a new one, I'll bump this thread.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

Good luck!

Hi all ....

didnt want to start another thread as this one seems to tackle most of my enquiries ...

i am fairly new to the audio scene and have spend ages looking around the forum ... its a great place! ... it has a lot more info than my brain can understand :frowning2:  ...

i really find myself not even understanding half of what you guys are talking about most of the time - especially when you describe how music sounds to you .... but it looks like a great place to learn anyway :)  ....

i like to listen to a wide variety of music, not in any particular order - christian, country, classical, rock, pop, etc etc ... only music i dont really listen to is heavy metal, opera & rap (well, only very ocassionally) and electronic stuff ....   

my source is an iphone 4 - and not really keen at this stage at carting anything else around ...i really just want to get the very best out of the iphone 4 ....

to that end i have both the reo and the w3 iem's winging there way to me .... i intend to use the reo as my "daily" eim - i'm usually pretty careful with my gear, but this will be the one that takes the most abuse thru regular daily use etc ....i intend to keep the w3 as more of a "special  occasion" eim ....

time will tell how that plan works out ...

anyway.... after that rather long winded into .... the main point of this post .... i really want to find a good quality mic and music control button "thingy" to use with both the reo and the w3 (i think that the w3 that i bought has fixed rather than removable cables, altho i am not 100% certain on that point
confused.gif
  )  ....

within reason, i am looking for quality rather than a budget setup - and esp want a good quality mic .... after doing a search on here, it seems that both the shure and the AT? (lost the thread that i was looking at on this one, so not exactly sure of name)  are good quality ... but i am uncertain exactly which models will fit both the iphone 4 and the reo/w3 ....

any help and advice from the xperts - inc link to vendors product pages ( if possible
biggrin.gif
) would be greatly appreciated..

regards
A|T

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 11
I've tried every Mic adapter out there.  The Shure MPA is my preferred Mic cable adapter.  The Mic on the Griffin was good, but like Roker indicated, it is NOT built to last.  Other than that there's a few really cheap mic adapter cables out there but the Mic's sound really bad.

I rewired my KSC75 to 12 inches so the Mic sits right below my chin.  This makes for the best phone headset.

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 11
The Audio Technica is the only one that's easy to get currently.

For some reason the Shure mic seems to be sold out almost everywhere.  Either they're restocking or coming out with a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back