Best Integrated Amplifier + USB Dac / Headphone Amp
Oct 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yellafella321

500+ Head-Fier
I know there's a similar thread, but I'm specifically looking at the Peachtree Decco 65 and the NAD D 3020, and open to any other options.  Target budget is around $600, but can flex up if it's really worth it.

I already have a set of wharfedale 10.1s and sub, and just looking for a proper desktop amp to drive them.

My biggest concern with the two options above is the quality of the headphone amp.  Although I don't have a set of fullsize cans anymore, I could easily see myself getting a set of Senn HD700's, or something similar in the future and want to make sure the desktop amp I get can drive them sufficiently.

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 8

My biggest concern with the two options above is the quality of the headphone amp.  Although I don't have a set of fullsize cans anymore, I could easily see myself getting a set of Senn HD700's, or something similar in the future and want to make sure the desktop amp I get can drive them sufficiently.

I have a pair of HD700's I had the same choice go Peachtree like setup or go independent component setup. I decided to go independent component setup. I am still upgrading and spending money I wish I got the Peachtree Decco as a foundation so I could upgrade what components I needed. 

The Decco 65 is sufficient enough to HD700. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 8
If you care about the design or you want the extra features (speaker amp, remote) that Peachtree is quite a looker.  Otherwise for $2-300 you can get an O2+ODAC combo which sounds at least same as good ... much smaller and almost portable too.

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Your title says it all in the way that it is phrased. Best route to go is probably a speaker amp AND a separate DAC/headphone amp, not a combined unit. If you go this route, get a dac/headphone amp that has pre-amp outs and then you just need an amp to power your speakers.

That being said, it would be helpful to know how you use the speakers/sub. Is it a desktop computer setup? If so, you don't need a lot of power. And how are you integrating the sub into the setup? What make/model is it?

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Your title says it all in the way that it is phrased. Best route to go is probably a speaker amp AND a separate DAC/headphone amp, not a combined unit. If you go this route, get a dac/headphone amp that has pre-amp outs and then you just need an amp to power your speakers.

That being said, it would be helpful to know how you use the speakers/sub. Is it a desktop computer setup? If so, you don't need a lot of power. And how are you integrating the sub into the setup? What make/model is it?

Yes it's being used as a desktop system.  I have the wharfedale sw150 sub, which sits under my desk. (about 60 inches wide), with a 27" monitor and I will regularly keep an extra laptop or two on the desk as well.

Although I'd prefer an integrated unit, if you can give me a solid rec for a high quality usb dac + headphone amp + integrated amp I'd be open to it.  Desk space is somewhat limited, but I can try to make it work.  

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I think you should have separate amps.  That way you can choose from the multitude of both speaker and headphone amps without having the constraint of choosing a speaker amp that is also a good headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back