Best IEMs for under 250$
Dec 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Alpina

Head-Fier
Hey guys, so i am buying new IEMS. Not from USA, so harder with shipping, finding what i need, etc.. Now price is <250$. And don't ask what sound i prefer, because the only decent IEMS i used were Klipsch S3, and that's it :wink:

Now looking at great review thread I just took all IEMs which got sound rating of 9.2 ^^

Rock It Sounds R-50 --> Super cheap!
Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII
Hifiman re272

VSonic GR01 --> Still must find right seller which will ship
VSonic GR07 --> Still must find right seller which will ship
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 -> Looks like not possible to ship from Amazon.com to EU.

So it comes down to 3 IEMs: Rock It Sounds R-50, Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII or Hifiman re272. Other 3 as possible too but i need to find seller who will ship :)

If i missed something, you are welcome you add some other IEMs. I listen mainly to hard rock and some metal. If you listened to some of those, which have the best sound?

Also my last question, do you think if i will get any of those above headphone i will for sure notice the difference between them and Klipsch S3? My player is Cowon i9. Thanks!

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:
Hey guys, so i am buying new IEMS. Not from USA, so harder with shipping, finding what i need, etc.. Now price is <250$. And don't ask what sound i prefer, because the only decent IEMS i used were Klipsch S3, and that's it :wink:

Now looking at great review thread I just took all IEMs which got sound rating of 9.2 ^^

Rock It Sounds R-50 --> Super cheap!
Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII
Hifiman re272

VSonic GR01 --> Still must find right seller which will ship
VSonic GR07 --> Still must find right seller which will ship
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 -> Looks like not possible to ship from Amazon.com to EU.

So it comes down to 3 IEMs: Rock It Sounds R-50, Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII or Hifiman re272. Other 3 as possible too but i need to find seller who will ship :)

If i missed something, you are welcome you add some other IEMs. I listen mainly to hard rock and some metal. If you listened to some of those, which have the best sound?

Also my last question, do you think if i will get any of those above headphone i will for sure notice the difference between them and Klipsch S3? My player is Cowon i9. Thanks!

The point system for any review system are completely subjective to the reviewer. It means they liked something better, not that the lower scoring ones sounded "worst" or less proficient. Don't limit yourself with that. 

If you're located near the EU, lendmeuears ships worldwide for VSonics. Quite reputable around here. For rock/metal, I'd go with the GR07. GR01 are a little leaner, not very aggressive for that sort of stuff, though still good. The drum kicks on the GR07 though...oh, baby. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 26
Thanks guys. and nice link, now i can order Vsonic as well :)

GR07, though can only be worn over the ear, which i never do tbh, so not sure about this.

Now how would you compare Vsonics with DBA-2 MKII? Or with RE-272? Or with Rockit sound R-50?

I myself personally like the DBA-2 MKII..

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:
Thanks guys. and nice link, now i can order Vsonic as well :)

GR07, though can only be worn over the ear, which i never do tbh, so not sure about this.

Now how would you compare Vsonics with DBA-2 MKII? Or with RE-272? Or with Rockit sound R-50?

I myself personally like the DBA-2 MKII..

I personally prefer over-ear myself (less microphonics/cable noise, more convenient). But the GR07 can sort of fit straight down as well, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

Rock-its are leaner, slightly more clear, but the body and kick isn't as nice as with the VSonics. Haven't heard the RE-272, but have heard the RE-262. It's a smoother sound, but somehow less warm to my ears. Won't be as aggressive or have as much treble. I prefer the GR07's imaging more though. Have not heard the MKII, but the MK1/B2 have an even leaner note presentation than the R-50, with huge globs of treble, and even less bass. Not very fun for rock, but then again, fun is subjective. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

I personally prefer over-ear myself (less microphonics/cable noise, more convenient). But the GR07 can sort of fit straight down as well, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

Rock-its are leaner, slightly more clear, but the body and kick isn't as nice as with the VSonics. Haven't heard the RE-272, but have heard the RE-262. It's a smoother sound, but somehow less warm to my ears. Won't be as aggressive or have as much treble. I prefer the GR07's imaging more though. Have not heard the MKII, but the MK1/B2 have an even leaner note presentation than the R-50, with huge globs of treble, and even less bass. Not very fun for rock, but then again, fun is subjective. 

So I done some price calculating (prices with shipping to my country):

Rock-it sounds R50 - 122$
Vsonic GR07 - 168$
Vsonic GR01 - 177$
Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII - 199$
Hifiman RE272 - 211$

So as you can see there is quite a price range even though all of those IEMs are considered quite the similar sound quality (correct me if i am wrong). If for example Rock-it sounds R50 are quite similar to others, then it's enormous price difference. That said, i am ready to pay more if the sound is really better.

Apart from great sound i also want them to be really reliable and not to break after several months.

I guess i will keep reading about what are best for me 
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: oh and one more thing. For example Vsonic GR07 got 50Ω impedance, while my current got 18Ω. Is the max volume level gonna drop dramatically?

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:
So I done some price calculating (prices with shipping to my country):

Rock-it sounds R50 - 122$
Vsonic GR07 - 168$
Vsonic GR01 - 177$
Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII - 199$
Hifiman RE272 - 211$

So as you can see there is quite a price range even though all of those IEMs are considered quite the similar sound quality (correct me if i am wrong). If for example Rock-it sounds R50 are quite similar to others, then it's enormous price difference. That said, i am ready to pay more if the sound is really better.

Apart from great sound i also want them to be really reliable and not to break after several months.

I guess i will keep reading about what are best for me 
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: oh and one more thing. For example Vsonic GR07 got 50Ω impedance, while my current got 18Ω. Is the max volume level gonna drop dramatically?

That is a large price gap. I definitely wouldn't say that the R50s are inferior enough to warrant such a gap. If money is an issue, spring for the Rock-Its, because build-wise, they have almost everything but the VSonics beat.

Impedance hasn't the only thing to do with volume. Sensitivity is also much more important. 105dB for the GR07 is not low by any means.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

That is a large price gap. I definitely wouldn't say that the R50s are inferior enough to warrant such a gap. If money is an issue, spring for the Rock-Its, because build-wise, they have almost everything but the VSonics beat.

Impedance hasn't the only thing to do with volume. Sensitivity is also much more important. 105dB for the GR07 is not low by any means.

Well i am just comparing specs for my current Klipsch S3 which got 16Ω impedance and 106dB sensitivity, and i am really happy with volume level, it's very high. Just wondering how much % it will drop. I am just afraid it can be so high that i will regret not buying amp (which i don't really want to do).

Now about price, I am not a guy who will buy new IEMs every several months or even year, i wanna buy good IEMs and listen many years :) So i can pay more if it's worth it!

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 26
I much preferred DBA-02 MKII over R-50, not as thin sounding, better build quality too

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
sorry, they are used is what i meant. it looks like the cheapest used sennheiser ie8 is 245.00 now, they must have been sold. i, for example, bought mine for 170 used, its been working great.

Good for you, but i am definitely not buying used IEMs, especially cause i am from central Europe and shipping alone will take ~10-20 days, not even gonna bother risking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back