Best IEM <=$150 for death metal to alternative rock..
Jan 16, 2012 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

autoexec

500+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi, forgive me for starting a new thread, I am having quite a hard time researching for this. I like the brainwavz's new alpha but I find it a bit sibilant and lacking some detail.. I want a balanced detailed IEM with speed that can handle very fast bassdrum notes. Thank you very much in advance. :) btw, I have the beta but I find it too muddy for my taste. I have MX980 and have found it to be really nice for my taste but i want a decent iem for travel/commute. Thanks again!
- Joseph

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Yamaha EPH-100. Seriously, they are extremely fast and detailed, but have the treble range rolled off a bit so no harshness/silibance. They really shine with guitar.

Monster Turbine Pro Gold wouldn't be my first choice for rock, but as Berkovajazz said, EX600 and GR07/R07 would both be excellent too.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 9
thanks! Im gonna research for thosr.. btw, is there by any chance the EPH-100 or RO7 will sound muddy? I really don't appreciate muddy sound. :|

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 9
Another vote for the GR07. Metal (mostly death and black) makes up about 80% of my listening time, and the midrange textures on the GR07 does true justice to everything guitar-wise... from downtuned riffs to screeching tremolo assault. It's deftly balanced and not muddy/congested at all.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 9
Weren't there complaints in the dedicated Vsonic thread about the G07 being somewhat sibilant on certain recordings? A lot of metal albums suffer from pretty sibilant recordings anyway. The whole loudness war doesn't help either.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Weren't there complaints in the dedicated Vsonic thread about the G07 being somewhat sibilant on certain recordings? A lot of metal albums suffer from pretty sibilant recordings anyway. The whole loudness war doesn't help either.

sibilance goes away after 120+ hours burn in, and yes +1 on the loudness war

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 9
I listen to a lot of metal and am around 200 hours of burn in on my GR07's. There is still some sibilance on certain recordings. Though I am not sure whether or not that is due to the often times questioal production quality of some metal albums. What is clear is that the vsonics, being so awesome, can exaggerate flaws in recordings that woukd otherwise be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back