Best horror books O.O''
Jun 22, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 15
Just read SK, "Full Dark, No Stars" - master pieces.   Clive Barker is another favorite; try his "Books of Blood", or if you fancy a longer read, "Rawhead Rex" may just do the trick.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 15
After "House of Leaves" you may have a hard time finding a horror novel that meets your expectations.  King is an above-average writer in the genre, but nowhere near the level of Danielewski, in my opinion (and I've read a lot of King).  I'd suggest taking a different direction.  Maybe don't go for something that takes itself too seriously.  How about "John Dies At The End" by David Wong?  It's definitely a horror novel, but also a comedy, as strange as that sounds.  The voice in which Wong writes is terrifically sardonic, and the fact the he owns up to the ridiculousness that is pretty much inherent in the genre (even in good books) is very refreshing.  And it's a good story to boot.  Lots of fun, and a bit of fear.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 15
Lovecraft is great, I agree.  Also, Poe, especially "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym."  Follow that up with Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness."  It was written as almost a companion piece to "Pym."

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 15
Oh, thought of one more...

"Dreamside" by Graham Joyce.  It's about an experiment in lucid dreaming where four student participants create a shared dream realm and the consequences of what they do there.

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 15
There's always the "Twilight" series if bad writing horrifies you.

Otherwise, try H.P. Lovecraft. I'd also recommend his biography - he had an interesting life.

Not exactly in the horror genre, but read Ambrose Bierce's civil war stories. "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" ought to get you hooked. Bierce actually served and was injured in the Civil War - his perspective was unique. Like Lovecraft, read up on his interesting life and possible death. I like to think he's still alive and wandering the southwest. :) There are tales about a ghostly old gringo in the desert around here. It must be Bierce.

Another great writer that should interest you is Philip K. Dick. Not strictly horror, but good enough to be on any recommended reading list. The five volumes of his short stories are well worth buying.

If you don't mind me recommending yet another quasi-horror author, try T. Coraghessan Boyle's short stories. "Greasy Lake" is a real favorite. Still another favorite author in the same vein is Roald Dahl. Yeah, he's known for kids' books. But try his - rather - adult short stories. You won't read them to your children, trust me. But they're a hell of a lot of fun.

Oh, and pick up Evelyn Waugh's "The Loved One." Not horror, but incredibly dark. And very, very funny.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 15
I picked up "House of Leaves" today, bought it after reading the introduction. Seems promising! Thanks for the recommendation
cool.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Still another favorite author in the same vein is Roald Dahl. Yeah, he's known for kids' books. But try his - rather - adult short stories. You won't read them to your children, trust me. But they're a hell of a lot of fun.

Didn't Dahl write some of the old Twilight Zone shows?  Many of his adult stories have that sort of feel.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #12 of 15
I would recommend any of the horror stuff by Dan Simmons (who also writes excellent scifi). I've recently been turned on to Joe Hill, who happens to be Stephen King's son. Others have already mentioned Clive Barker but note that some of his stuff is more fantasy than horror.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 15
+1 to Clive Barker! My personal favorites are Weaveworld and Imajica, given there a long read but unbelievably worth it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back